• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil out exhaust

Tlauden

Well, I searched and found a relevant thread with out a conclusion... I know, big surprise there

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/149-lots-crankcase-oil-blowing-out-exhaust.html

Exact same problem... Pulled her into the firehouse to continue working on my brakes and I honestly didn't go to the passenger side after I pulled it in, another FD member there was looking at it and asked why there was so much oil coming out of the stack and splattered all over the passenger side, well that comment right there made my day go bad:-( aua aua aua

The deuce always had alot of blowby but after consulting multiple diesel mechanics they said that was normal and each truck had a different amount. But now that there is oil spewing out I'm thinking a pistons rings or sleeve failed... Looks like my project truck is a bigger project than anticipated...

She's parked out back the firehouse right now, it's to depressing to look at, I wanted to get my mechanical skills up a little at a time on this truck, now two months in it's looking like it needs an engine overhaul.

Also it's a non turbo

Thanks, any comments are welcome at this point... Sorry for the long winded post...

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never had oil spew out of any exhaust on a deuce or any other military truck that I've owned. However, I have had sooty water spew out if I parked the truck without a "rain cap" on the exhaust. I assume you are sure that it is not rain related.

By the way, you may not even know of him, but a very big guy in the military vehicle collector hobby lived in your town. His name was Richard Greene and he died several years back from cancer. His passing was a terrible loss for the hobby. Rich was a good guy and a person that I enjoyed doing business with.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These old trucks tend to slobber out the exhaust if they are run for long periods idling or under little or no load. It could also be as stated above if you got water down in there. If it's a whole bunch it could be cause for concern though. I doubt it would be rings going bad. All that would do is cause your engine to smoke more. More than likely if there is a problem it will be your turbo going out.

Tlauden

Hmm, never thought of that, and if that's what it is, man do I feel really stupid right about now... It was baked onto the stack pretty good, I'm assuming it happened when I took it to the fire house ( like 4 miles from where it was) is gunk blowing out a common thing? This is my first truck with a stack

Then again it did rain pretty darn hard the past few days

Jimma

I had that happen one time. Threw black oily crap all over the fender hood, passanger door. It was because during a hard blowing rainstorm rain went down the pipe. The next time I started it up it came out the pipe and went everywhere. What a mess. It looked like oil but it was more soot than anything and it cleaned up pretty good.

gunboy1656

Take it out on the highway for about an hour and have fun with it, will blow most of it out. then cap the exhaust. I use a Mt. Dew bottle cut off just right it fits perfect.

No problem Bruce, I went out and visited Richard Greene a couple year before he passed away, Boy did he have a LOT of trucks up on his hill.

Tlauden

Ok, I can't begin to say how stupid I feel right about now... I honestly didn't think of the fact the rain storms Over the past week filling he exhaust.....:doh::doh:

Thanks

And I've never heard of Mr. Richard Greene, I'll have to ask around

91W350

When I recovered my deuce, it had been sitting for a couple of years, no cap. It was really cold out side, go figure, Ellsworth AFB in February, and I got a mixture of black sooty water and what looked like little chunks of coal as the pipe warmed up and it was blowing the crap out.

I think Karl Kostman knew it was coming, from the cab he tells me to pour in the second five gallons of fresh fuel. Like a sucker, I was over there getting my 6 degree sooty shower and listening to the chunks of coal hitting the inside of the pipe, then blowing out onto the snow.

I am not complaining at all, it was sweet music and it has been running super. Glen

DieselBob

Also it's a non turbo
I would tend to agree with the other gentlemen that is is a water buildup in the exhaust. A non turbo truck has a nice big muffler that can hold a fair amount of water until it blows it out or cooks it from heat. If you had that bad a cylinder you should have a lot of blue smoke and I would think a noticeable miss.

Tlauden

Been here my hole life but I'm only 20 so that's not saying much, I'll ask our fire chief, he's also a police officer for town. Was he town police or state trooper?

And dieselbob, that's a good point, thank you, I hadn't heard a knocking or a miss on a cylinder. I guess I learned this lesson... Now I need to go to tractor supply and get one of them flapper thingys:cookoo:

velociT

I know all about the soot shower.

Shipper loaded my truck backwards (which was good considering the hood wasn't latched) so the stack flapper was open the whole way.

He must have gone through 3 different storms because my poor neighbor got it bad when I cranked it.

rlwm211

Yeah Bob, that Aircraft streamer adds a certain "class" to the stack cap!!!!!!

I would say that you are not truly initiated into this hobby until you have had a "Stack Bath" of black, sooty, slimy, grimy, oily mess.....

I was at a festival with a parade scheduled last summer and it happened to pour like cats and dogs for about ten minutes in the middle of the afternoon on what had been a beautiful day otherwise.

Well, the time came to head to the rally point for the parade and
I go and start the deuce.....

And..,.......

SLOBBERED ALL OVER THE TWO JEEPS SITTING TO THE RIGHT OF MY DEUCE!!!!!!!!!!!

Many were they pissed!!!!!!!!!!

Black sooty gunks all over from the rain water that had blown into my stack!!!!!!

Welcome to the deuce club Kid!!!!!!! Now you know!!!!!!!

RL