• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil out exhaust

Lex_Ordo

Yep! Same issues when I first bought my duece. I also made a stack cap, and since that decision, I've been through several Nor'Easters, with very high 60 MPH wind gusts and not a single drop of water.

I went to the hardware store, bought a 3" rubber pipe cap, drilled a small hole in the center to pass a cord through, and attached a 'REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT' streamer onto it as well. The cap just fits around the top of the stack snug enough to stay in place, but not so tight that if you forget to remove it, it will blow off when you start the engine.

This is where I bought mine. Of course they had to be military surplus to go with the truck. :)

Large REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT FLAG - Military Surplus! - eBay (item 380336168985 end time May-29-11 14:23:34 PDT)

Last edited:

Clay James

Both of mine got it pretty bad when I first got them. They obviously weren't run for a long time and I didn't have them registered yet so I did a lot of low speed driving and idling around my ranch. The M35A2 got it the worst, oil was running down the stack and all over the fender. The M109A3 had a little dripping from the exhaust manifold. Once I got the registered I ran them hard on the road for a while and it went away and hasn't come back. These engines like to run.

jatonka

Rich Greene was a detective in Philadelphia or a large city close by for a lot of his career, I do think he told me that he did work in or around Halifax after he retired from the big city job. He was a heck of a good guy cause he put up with me when I was a newbie asking questions that he had heard a thousand times, and answered them all in a gentlemanly way. I ended up spending a lot of money with him for parts, and got a very large dose of intelligent advice for free. Glad some of the Steel Soldiers still remember him. JT out