• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pan pad heater Verses block coolant heater.

Rifleman

First Before we start and someone says to check past threads for this info, i did a search of old threads and found very little information on pan heaters at all.

I am lucky that it doesn't get very cold where i live, but i do own a place up north that is above 6000 feet and in the winter time it can get well below zero.

So i am thinking about installing a heater on my M925 motor for use up north but i am not sure which type to install so first i wanted to hear what other members think would be the best choice.

I was thinking it might be better to heat the pan using a 500 watt glue on pan heater and get the oil warmed up so it pumps easier with less start up ware or do you guys feel it would be better to heat the coolant instead?

So what's best, what do you guys feel are the pro's and con's of each type of heater?

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
First Before we start and someone says to check past threads for this info, i did a search of old threads and found very little information on pan heaters at all.

I am lucky that it doesn't get very cold where i live, but i do own a place up north that is above 6000 feet and in the winter time it can get well below zero.

So i am thinking about installing a heater on my M925 motor for use up north but i am not sure which type to install so first i wanted to hear what other members think would be the best choice.

I was thinking it might be better to heat the pan using a 500 watt glue on pan heater and get the oil warmed up so it pumps easier with less start up ware or do you guys feel it would be better to heat the coolant instead?

So what's best, what do you guys feel are the pro's and con's of each type of heater?

I live up in the mountains in PA and I can tell you to get a Frost Plug. It will work wonders on heating the entire motor. Stay away from oil pan heaters. They malfunction more than they serve a purpose and with the oil pan so large, you are heating a very small area and it will take very long for the heat to disipate. Your best bet if you want to heat the oil pan is to get one of those heaters that look like a jet engine (I forget the name) and route the heat up to the oil pan from a distance so the heat can disapate and not cause a fire or damage to the pan. Honestly, unless you are in the arctic, You really only need a frost plug. I will plug it in the night before I use the truck and the next morning the block is warm to the touch, it melts the snow and ice off the hood.

U1100L

Coolant 100% Need the liquid around the block to make a difference. Had a small Zero-Start on the Mog that was a tankless model plumbed into the 3/4 heater hoses. Piece-o-cake. The freeze plugs can be a charater builder and risk boogering up the block and now the o-ring won't seat well and then it leaks.

Take a look at the external block heaters. mount them low so it will naturally cycle warm and cold coolant through the engine..

tstone

A coolant heater is the way to go, the cylinders become warm and help to combust the fuel and will help eliminate excessive noise and knocking. I prefer the freeze plug style but have had good success with the tank type units. You will get slight heating of the oil through conduction from the block if you heat the coolant; the benefits of using a pan heater will not equal that of a coolant heater.

Gunner0311

Pan Heater

A coolant heater is the way to go, the cylinders become warm and help to combust the fuel and will help eliminate excessive noise and knocking. I prefer the freeze plug style but have had good success with the tank type units. You will get slight heating of the oil through conduction from the block if you heat the coolant; the benefits of using a pan heater will not equal that of a coolant heater.

I have been using a oil pan heater on my M52A2 for two winters now. Works great! It heats up the oil so the motor cranks easier and the heat rises to warm the engine compartment.

Someone that uses a block or coolant line heater please explain to us how these units heat the oil sitting two feet below in the oil pan??:driver:

steelandcanvas

My preference is a Block Heater, and not the Freeze Plug type either...why invite another possible leak? Dipstick Heaters have never impressed me either and I have read too many horror stories about Magnetic Pan Heaters. For me, a Kat's 11619, 600 Watt, 3/4" NPT., works extremely well.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the Kats magnetic wouldn't burn my big Cummins up like it tried on the Deuce and my backhoe. ;-)

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe the Kats magnetic wouldn't burn my big Cummins up like it tried on the Deuce and my backhoe. ;-)
What's the story there? Got a link to that write-up?

I just put a 500w pad heater on my oil pan today. I couldn't get the deuce started last week in 20 degree weather, so I'll see how it does after a quick addition of an oil pan heater and two battery heaters. She cranks about three times before starting in warm weather, and I had no trouble down to about 40-45 deg last year in GA. But she doesn't like KS cold so far. Hopefully I can fix that. I can't get the plug out of my water pump to add the coolant heater or I would have gone that route right away.

Last edited:

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I live Just outside of Fargo ND the temps do get mighty cold here at times, the key to heating up an engine is CIRCULATING that heat through out the engine, a warm oil pan is OK maybe? but a warm engine is awesome! Everything heating blanket, battery warmer and blankets for the hood etc. are ALL secondary to a frost plug heater, it is without any doubt the FIRST thing I would go with!
KK

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pics of said heater. I still have it. I did not take the case apart, it did that all by itself when it melted and smoked. The only thing I can say in their defense is that it requires a certain size surface area to distribute the heat. If a Deuce front pan section isn't enough I'm not sure what would be okay.

20131201_152254.jpg20131201_152313.jpg

Cruceno

I definitely swear by my coolant heater. (On the NHC-250, Kat's 30101 replaces the water inspection plate on the right side of the engine)

I'd be interested in hearing people's experiences with the silicone/pad style heaters too.

M925

Shoot some of that good stuff in the intake. If Sam wanted a block heater he would have issued one. jk....I've been thinking about the magnetic type, but I doubt the effectiveness.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks