• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Plug Above Filter Removal

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to remove the plug from the block (above the oil filter) to use as the oil supply source for my turbo but it is putting up quite the fight, even after soaking for a few days in penetrating oil. A 1/4” drive extension doesn’t fit snug enough to be able to put a lot of force on and I don’t want to strip it.

Anyone have a good technique for removing these? The only idea I had so far was to buy some 1/4” square stock to fit inside the plug as that would be more of a true fit vs the somewhat rounded cornered 1/4” drive extensions. But open to more/better ideas.

Attachments

nyoffroad

Well, I might be running into the same problem soon. The 1/4" square stock would be mild steel and twist. Seeing as the engine is out I think I would take a hex nut and set it over top of the plug and then MIG weld the INSIDE of the nut to the plug, then while still hot (but not red hot) turn it out.

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am trying to remove the plug from the block (above the oil filter) to use as the oil supply source for my turbo but it is putting up quite the fight, even after soaking for a few days in penetrating oil. A 1/4” drive extension doesn’t fit snug enough to be able to put a lot of force on and I don’t want to strip it.

Anyone have a good technique for removing these? The only idea I had so far was to buy some 1/4” square stock to fit inside the plug as that would be more of a true fit vs the somewhat rounded cornered 1/4” drive extensions. But open to more/better ideas.
I'd heat that block up nice and slow with a map gas or flat torch. That should be a tapered thread that don't like to come out.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the ideas! That makes sense that the plug is larger than 1/4". I tried some heat already but I didn't want to get it too hot so it wasn't enough to help. I'm going to get a pipe plug socket set and give that a try. It has 1/4, 9/32, and 5/16 (as well as other sizes) Hopefully it'll do the trick but if it strips I'll weld the nut on and go that route.

I will report back once I give it another try.

Last edited:

CenterMass762

Isn't it amazing how much easier things are when you have the correct tool? I've fought things for hours and hours because I either didn't want to spend the money or didn't want to wait for the tool to come in. When I'd eventually give in and order the tool, I'd have it done in minutes.:ROFLMAO:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks