• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pressure drop on my MEP 005a

dangier

Look for a used 400 cycle 005A. They appear to be going for less cost from what I have seen.
If the "stuff" was through the oil pump and oil bypass was stuck, you can bet it is throughout the oil passages. You may already have main/rod bearing damage.
David

1800 Diesel

jlxb,

Sounds like you have a good plan.

I'm not convinced you have a compression problem since it starts & runs well, though "intermittently".... Low compression engines (worn enough to require ether & then just barely run with much smoke) don't just cure themselves & then decide to run well with good power & no smoke, etc for awhile.

One other thing comes to mind--when the engine shuts down & won't restart, have you cracked injector lines & spun the engine over to confirm you're getting good pressure on all 4 lines? Possibly you also have an IP problem coincident with the mystery crud in the oil.

I'll be off the grid a few days so will check back when I can.

And I agree on just buying another unit for a donor engine. If we were closer I could probably help you out on an engine, but buying another unit with a good engine will do the trick & then we can buy spare parts from you instead... :)

Kevin

jlxb

update - did not get as much done as I hoped but here is the run down.

1) Replaced pressure switch - did not notice any change.

2) On the hot restart - checked to see if fuel solenoid was activated - it was getting 24 volts and could feel it click when activated.

3) checked to see if there was fuel at the injectors - there is and a good strong pulse. Getting fuel but not starting even with ether.

4) Pulled off the valve cover and did a very close inspection - not as bad as I feared! I could see NO large particulate debris but every surface had the telltale thin coating of tacky black. There is not much I could tell about the valves or passages by looking at it (inexperience). I could see no obstructions or obvious clearance problems.

jlxb

update - Decided to buy another 005 to replace this one. Found it, Bought it and picking it up on Monday. If she runs good, I'll be parting out the one with the oil pressure issue. The new one was only 850.00. It would cost 3 times that to take the engine out clean it overhaul. re-assemble and the reinstall.

I hate the throw away world we live in and try not to act that way if possible. I am sure the spare parts from this machine will find a good home to keep some other persons good generator working.

Thanks for all your help!

Jeff

1800 Diesel

update - Decided to buy another 005 to replace this one. Found it, Bought it and picking it up on Monday. If she runs good, I'll be parting out the one with the oil pressure issue. The new one was only 850.00. It would cost 3 times that to take the engine out clean it overhaul. re-assemble and the reinstall.

I hate the throw away world we live in and try not to act that way if possible. I am sure the spare parts from this machine will find a good home to keep some other persons good generator working.

Thanks for all your help!

Jeff
Hi Jeff--just sent you a pm.

Kevin

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks