• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

oil pressure gauge

ah1955

Yesterday was first nice day here in Pa. for a change could not let a little thing like no reg.tag on my deuce stop that first spring ride around the block(well maybe alittle more)
Anyway that could be a storie for an other day.
Hooked the batteries up, checked oil, drained prim. fuel filter(good clean fuel right away no air stopped there) flipped switch bumped starter to check for hyd. lock(fine) pushed eng. stop in and hit starter, fired right away and never missed a beat, now the problem, the oil pressure gauge was not reading at all, did not like not having a oil pressure reading but the gauge had worked all last year from the time I first got the truck running and I always had good oil pressure, so I left the eng. run figured not knocking and has not locked up yet( I know!) Had read all the post and the PM about gauge grounding so pulled panal out and took gauge out cleaned mounting screws and nut under mount at a copper strip figured that had to be the ground now as soon as you turn switch on the oil pressure gauge pegs all the way up.
What did I screw up or could I have a bad sending unit and had bad groud fixed the ground now the sending unit is showing up. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks Alan H.

ah1955

To answer your guestion JR no I didn't, I started working on the body work that was needed so right now the right fender and door are off and the rocker panal under the door is cut out.
I have all the new metal cut, bent and fitted in place Hope to get all the welding done later today.
Will have to turn the truck around to do the same thing to the other side but before I start the truck will put a macanical gauge on and go straight to confirming the true eng. oil pressure.

JRBAMATEX

I installed a mech gauge this weekend. What a difference. I haven't taken it out and run up to operating temp yet but did allow it to idle up over 120 degrees. It never dropped below 58-59Psi. On revs it will push up over 110Psi. I feel much better about the oil pressure issue. Awesome!!!

Best of luck on your body work Alan.

Thanks for your help.

JRBAMATEX

I took the truck out for a good run today. About 75 miles round trip mostly on 4 lane highway. When I first start it up the mech gauge doesn't come right up. It takes maybe 2 or 3 seconds for it to jump up to about 60 or 70 psi. While warming the truck up before my trip I applied the accelerator and reved it up a few times. I was able to see psi of as much as 100 psi. I then stopped reving and let it finish warming up for about five minutes while I did a walk around inspection and locked up the house. I drove the truck to the gas station to fill up with fuel and the oil pressure never moved above 75 psi. I just left it running while I filled up. Then I ran a few errunds before I ran it up the highway. Never saw any psi over 75. I ran it wide open up to Decatur, TX (26miles) and back to Haslet. nothing over 75 psi. When I got back I monitored psi at idle while it cooled down for about five minutes or so. It is idling at 30 psi. at operating temps 160 - 190. So I think it's OK. Just need to order my new sending unit now.

Thanks for all the advice and sorry for hijacking the thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks