• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pressure Gauge

zeisshensoldt

I bought and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge today, i tapped into the valve on the drivers side of the radiator. Cracked open the valve, started the engine and the gauge was reading a steady 55psi and not budging, even when hammering the throttle. I did notice that little valve was leaking oil, though. Any ideas on this?

cucvrus

I think the best place to check oil pressure is at the oil pressure sending unit location. You can get a brass fitting and tap right in to that location and still retain the oil pressure indicator light. And it is safer because the oil pressure sending capillary will be a lot shorter. That is my opinion on that. I don't think you are getting a true accurate reading at the oil sampling valve. The best place for oil pressure is at the end of the oil delivery. Am I correct or incorrect. I always did it where the factory was measuring and picking up the signal on vehicles that came with factory gauges.

cucvrus

Left rear of the engine. Right up against the firewall on the block. I just bought a couple brass fittings at a hardware store and hooked them up so both worked. I don't have any pictures but it is fairly easy. I hope that helps.

rsh4364

I bought and installed a mechanical oil pressure gauge today, i tapped into the valve on the drivers side of the radiator. Cracked open the valve, started the engine and the gauge was reading a steady 55psi and not budging, even when hammering the throttle. I did notice that little valve was leaking oil, though. Any ideas on this?
I installed mine the same way with the same results. I tightened the small nut on top of the valve and no more leak.My gauge reads 30 psi at idle and 60 psi at speed when hot.

Last edited:

zeisshensoldt

I installed mine the same way with the same results. I tightened the small nut on top of the valve and no more leak.

same results as in? Same pressure readings until you tightened the nut on the valve or just the leak?

Left rear of the engine. Right up against the firewall on the block. I just bought a couple brass fittings at a hardware store and hooked them up so both worked. I don't have any pictures but it is fairly easy. I hope that helps.
It does, thanks! Do I need a special socket to get the sending unit out or no?

Last edited:

cucvrus

I think you do need a sending unit socket. I am not 100% sure but I think so. But maybe it was an open end wrench. I am not sure. I have done several but don't remember. I am getting old. Take a look and let us know. Or I can look at an engine tomorrow if you would like.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tapped into the same place
Works perfect !!
You can watch pressure change as
the RPMs change

Some oil was seeping around the valve but snugged it up with a wrench and it's all dry now.

image.jpg

zeisshensoldt

Alright, so i took the truck for a drive today. Gauge seems to be working, my readings are as follows: 60psi cold idle, 38-40 hot idle, 55-60 cruising. Does this seem normal?

brianrbull

On my 1031 I took the dash cluster from 84 k20 had Oil, Volts, & Temp gauge. some minor rewiring, and moving the Gen 1 and Gen 2 Lights to where the low coolant, and fasten seatbelt lights would normaly be..... Easy upgrade....

zeisshensoldt

Just installed a water temp gauge, it's reading 190-195 idle 200-210 when on the throttle, although i haven't pushed it too hard yet, so i dont know how high it'll go, but do these numbers seem alright?

zeisshensoldt

Alright, so is there any specific reason why a mechanical temp gauge will read nothing at all on the gauge itself? I went to the store today, came out, started driving home and noticed that the gauge was under 100 (the minimum), where as on the way to the store, it was 190-200. Heat was blowing hot, got out and checked the probe connection for leaks, looked good, but i noticed that the top radiator hose would just collapse when i squeezed it, no pressure in it.

sandcobra164

It will do that if you are low on coolant as indicated by the top radiator hose collapsing with a hand squeeze and I'm assuming the radiator cap still on. No coolant around the probe equals no reading on the gauge.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks