• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pressure indication

Duster06

Great Americans,

I have an oil pressure issue that I am troubleshooting that I'd like to hear your thoughts about. When I crank my engine cold, the oil pressure indicates 10-15 psi. As the engine warms up and stabilizes at 195 degrees (perfect in range) the pressure slowly drops down to zero and stays there. I have new oil and a new oil filter installed and the engine sounds great. Based off of my experience, I'd say that the oil pump is probably working fine, but I have a bad indicator feeding poor data to my gauge. Second most likely issue is a bad gauge. Third most likely issue is a bad oil pump.

The book says 15psi min at idle, and 40-50 psi operating.

What do you guys think of my assessment based off of your experience and what you see in your trucks? One thing that I didn't do (out of consern for possible oil starvation) was to rev the engine and see if the psi increased linearly or not. I think that I might try that and see if I can get it in range if it's still sounding good this weekend.

Dock Rocker

Grab an off the shelf Hague from the parts house and plumb it in where the current sending unit is. That will give you some better data.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dock Rocker

Dock,

I googled a "Hague" and I can't find anything that's related. Can you please expand?
Sorry. I had a two year old in my lap when I wrote that. It didn’t go well. I meant to say gauge. Aftermarket gauge.

Just plug it in and compare it to the info you are getting from the military gage.

This is my opinion. Never trust any military gauge. Ever

If it were really down to zero oil pressure you would hear the difference and then you would hear a very distinct knock soon.

Duster06

Haha, good point. Sorry guys, I just came off of a 13 hour work day 😴

Have you guys used that gauge that was recommended from porky? How involved was the process and did it involve some type of adaptor?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Haha, good point. Sorry guys, I just came off of a 13 hour work day 

Have you guys used that gauge that was recommended from porky? How involved was the process and did it involve some type of adaptor?
It was the first one to come up on a search , but it includes 1/8" and 1/4" NPT fittings so it should have everything you need.

Action

When i got my forst humvee, there was a "T" at the block. One went to the originsl sender. The other went to a mechanical gauge sitting in the valley. That is a good way to compare numbers at the same time.

DatGuyC

I got rid of my electrical gauge and replaced it with a cheap Bosch mechanical from advanced auto, it fit right in the same hole perfectly. I routed the plastic tube through the hole with the wiring harness and it came with all the fittings necessary to replace the original sender. From what I see on my 6.2 with 40k miles is it idles at 45-50psi cold and 25-30 hot.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My advise when using a mechanical oil gauge is to throw away the vinyl tubing and use copper or steel tubing. Don't ask me how I know...... :-(

Dock Rocker

My advise when using a mechanical oil gauge is to throw away the vinyl tubing and use copper or steel tubing. Don't ask me how I know...... :-(
You are not the only one that has had the pleasure of having a gushing oil well in the cab of their truck. Jed Clampet would have been proud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks