• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pump (Failure) - 3116, 3126, & C7

2Wheels

This may have been covered in the past.
I came across this today while looking for a new oil pump and thought I would share.

We all know know that here were upgrades to the original oil pumps in 3116, 3126, and some C7 engines. This appears to be a contributing factor. On the national Highway Traffic Safety Admin. site. Although for commercial engines I believe the information is still pertinent.

'A New Engine Oil Pump Group Is Now Used On Certain Commercial Engines'

'Description Of Change: The new oil pump that is used contains a new bearing to prevent failure and engine oil contamination. Adaptable To: The new 496-4800 Engine Oil Pump Gp is a direct replacement for the previous 1898777 Engine Oil Pump Gp. Table 1 contains the effective serial numbers for this change. '

I am assuming 1154123 and 2004497 oil pumps should be added since all these pumps have been replaced by 4964800 & 20R7247.

87cr250r

I wouldn't assume the other pumps need to be added. They might not have a defect. Most manufacturers will supercede all previous numbers when a new part comes out whether it is an improvement or just a replacement. It costs too much money to store multiple parts where one will work. Check with your dealer.

Lostchain

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For What’s It’s Worth My 2003 LMTV with a 3126B oil pump was staring to show premature wear on the bearing at only 9k miles. The new pump from Cat had a markedly larger bearing on the idler gear….. Glad I swapped it, oil pressure improved.

2Wheels

For What’s It’s Worth My 2003 LMTV with a 3126B oil pump was staring to show premature wear on the bearing at only 9k miles. The new pump from Cat had a markedly larger bearing on the idler gear….. Glad I swapped it, oil pressure improved.
At a little over 6K miles on the clock, my oil pressure drops to ~18 psi at idle when warm. I already need to reseal the oil pan. Might as well replace the 1154123 pump while I am there.

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Abnormal bearing wear at low miles is almost surely a result of lots and lots of cold (after sitting not necessarily “cold”) starting by the vehicle checker. Of course going full throttle as soon as they light off to gear air pressure up doesn’t hurt. Got to remember their past life. Just my .02

RRaulston

This chart applies to 3116/3126 engines. I want to do the pump also as I am at the lower end of acceptable. When I visited the dealer, I was informed of a pump update for the 3116. Evidentially it went from a gear type to a gerotor type pump. The REMAN was $750 and the new pump was $1800 or so...
Screenshot 2023-03-10 062346.jpg

2Wheels

The 496-4800 is the gerotor pump upgrade.
My local CAT dealer is $1,767.10 for the 496-4800 & $689.13 for the 20R-7247 ReMan, ($1,026.03 core charge).
Just called the parts department. If purchasing a 20R-7274 my dealer will honor cores from the 115-4123, 189-8777, & 200-4497 pumps and wave the core fee as longs as it meets the core deposit criteria.

'Core Deposit
Purchase of this product requires an additional deposit that is refundable when you return the old core to the selling Caterpillar dealer. The core deposit is refunded upon return of an acceptable core (used part) to your dealer. In order to qualify for a core deposit refund, the core must meet acceptance criteria. Typical criteria include, but are not limited to: must be fully assembled and complete, not cracked or broken, free of excessive rust or pitting, free of fire damage, and must be an acceptable Cat® part number. Core acceptance criteria may vary by product - please contact your dealer for full details.'

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI, the CAT system showed the older P/N gear pump installed on my engine. Very clearly, Pvt Snuffy had swapped for the newer gear rotor pump but it had a mfg date stamp of 2003, the same year as the truck and engine. So that was a bit confusing.

Pvt Snuffy had also used silicon AND the O/E CAT gasket which equaled a leaky pan gasket. After my swap, 90 min “right stuff” has made it absolutely leak proof.

Additionally, had I brought the pump to CAT when I picked the reman it would take two weeks for the refund as they have to send it out.

RRaulston

The 496-4800 is the gerotor pump upgrade.
My local CAT dealer is $1,767.10 for the 496-4800 & $689.13 for the 20R-7247 ReMan, ($1,026.03 core charge).
Just called the parts department. If purchasing a 20R-7274 my dealer will honor cores from the 115-4123, 189-8777, & 200-4497 pumps and wave the core fee as longs as it meets the core deposit criteria.

'Core Deposit
Purchase of this product requires an additional deposit that is refundable when you return the old core to the selling Caterpillar dealer. The core deposit is refunded upon return of an acceptable core (used part) to your dealer. In order to qualify for a core deposit refund, the core must meet acceptance criteria. Typical criteria include, but are not limited to: must be fully assembled and complete, not cracked or broken, free of excessive rust or pitting, free of fire damage, and must be an acceptable Cat® part number. Core acceptance criteria may vary by product - please contact your dealer for full details.'
Can you post all the part numbers when you do the change? Gaskets and all? I am getting close to doing this as well...

2Wheels

496-4800 Upgraded oil pump

20R-7247 ReMan Upgraded oil pump
7W-5340 Oil Tube Gasket
3P-1156 O-ring (if you choose to replace - you will be right there anyway - 1 used on each end of the Outlet Elbow)
166-2905 Oil pan Gasket - (Some use black RTV instead of the gasket)
CAT procedure actually says to use a dabs on black RTV on: '4. ... the T-shaped gasket joints of the oil pan. Refer to Illustration 3', in conjunction with the gasket.

I hope this helps @RRaulston

RRaulston

496-4800 Upgraded oil pump

20R-7247 ReMan Upgraded oil pump
7W-5340 Oil Tube Gasket
3P-1156 O-ring (if you choose to replace - you will be right there anyway - 1 used on each end of the Outlet Elbow)
166-2905 Oil pan Gasket - (Some use black RTV instead of the gasket)
CAT procedure actually says to use a dabs on black RTV on: '4. ... the T-shaped gasket joints of the oil pan. Refer to Illustration 3', in conjunction with the gasket.

I hope this helps @RRaulston
Thank you!!

87cr250r

If it's a machined flat surface on the pan and bottom of the block, an anaerobic gasket maker such as Loctite 515 can be superior.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks