• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pump Removal

Seth_O

Evidently the oil pump was designed by a 3-armed, ambidextrous, 9-fingered midget, 'cause I cannot get the last bolt off.

Any tips/tricks for how to get to the last one? The socket wrench is too long, the box-wrench hits the engine mount, and there is not enough room to get one of those swivelly socket adapters on.

TM just says to 'remove' the bolt :evil:. Open to suggestions......

Attachments

Motorcar

Remove the gear on the front of the pump? It's not indexed to anything for timing since it's just a pump, is there a retaining nut holding it on the main shaft of the pump? Have you got offset box wrenches? They make shorty box wrenches if it's hitting outside the photo. Something with a decent offset might clear that other stuff, or crow's foot with an extension.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Nah, we were able to get the oil pump off when I put one in my wrecker. I don't remember any issues. Did you try an open end wrench?

Seth_O

Did you try an open end wrench?

Yep, the issue I am running into is that the wrench has VERY little swing room from the pump housing to the gear - and as it is a standard box wrench whacks the engine mount underneath the radiator.

I think it will probably go w/shorty wrenches, but am trying to avoid buying new tools as I'm going to be ~$1k just in engine parts & machine work as it is.

Seth_O

Ahh, still in the truck! Mine was hanging off an M108 hook.
Cheater.

I am resigned I guess to buying a set of crow's foot sockets. I tried the wobbly kind, I tried the crazy little pivoting extender dealy-o, I even tried a really long 1/4" extension. All to no avail.

I'll hit HD on the way home and see if I can get a set of the crow's foot sockets. Maybe I can get the 7/8 to work on the cylinder head and kill 2 birds with 1 stone.

Seth_O

A'ight, I stopped by HD on the way home. No crows foot wrenches, so I picked up a package of stubby box-wrenches. Took about 60 secs to get it off.

It's all about having the right tool for the job.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks