• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil sample questions

Ford Mechanic

Hey ya'll I just got the results of my first oil sample and they don't look good.... I wanted to know your experiances with oil sampling and how bad it actually looks, or is some of this stuff normal for these engines. They even said it looks like I have a coolant leak, but I'm not losing any?

Oil has 8 months on it and about 1500 miles
Rotella Triple T 15w40
Lucas oil stabilizer x3 qts

View attachment oil sample7_2013.pdf

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here are a few of mine:
2006 0903 6x6 oil analysis.jpg2007 0409 6x6 oil analysis.jpg2008 0409 xm757 oil analysis.jpg

The oil viscosity in the second example is very low due to a fuel leak into the crankcase. The last is the xm757 multifuel engine and is normal.

Last edited:

Speedwoble

Here is my first oil sample.
The question mark on your sample is the lucas oil additive. You don't know if it could be contributing some of the abnormal elements. According to their MSDS, it contains phosporous and sulfur.

m35a2 oil analysis.jpg

Ford Mechanic

Thanks guys for the input! I'm going to compare mine with ya'lls as soon as it slacks up some today here.

Speedwoble, I was questioning that also. Thanks for telling me about the phosporous and sulfur. Do you run any additives in your oil?

I was also questioning if I might of had a fuel leak being I run 60-80% WMO to diesil but they didn't find any diesil.

ducer

Running wmo as a fuel could be screwing with your results. Try running straight diesel for a while and then having it retested. A little fuel always gets past the rings especialy on cold starts.

Denny

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The key with all oil sampling is trending the vehicle. A single test is really not very useful as a tool. Its important to have a regular oil sampling program, so that trends can be identified. Although its interesting and can show a few catastrophic results, without trending its just neat information. These tests should be under 10 bucks, so regular testing should not be a deal breaker.

Ford Mechanic

I paid 17 buck from Napa for this one, where are you getting them for 10? I thought about having the WMO I'm running tested, might be interesting. As far as running straight diesil :shock: I'd have to park it and only drive it occasionaly with the way work's going at the moment.

jnbullock

I've used Catapilars lab for years for my marine engines. Trending of your own motor / tranni is a very useful tool. Use good sampling technique as this can give false reading. Engines that have sat can give some scarey results especially in the south where we have heat and humidity. I have had multiple bad samples of an engine and after numerous hours of operation, fluid changes, Ive still gotten years of use of an engine that tested poorly.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I use Blackstone to test our oil samples of our over the road trucks Generally their results have been OK. In looking at your results here I see nothing out of line for this engine, at least nothing that is really bad or anything that I would worry about. Keep your fluids fresh and you should get a long life out of this engine!
KK

Ford Mechanic

Thanks guys, I appreciate ya'll looking at it. It's the first time I've ever done any oil sampling. I'm going to replace the fuel shut off rod o-ring and the 2 HH o-rings just in case I've got a fuel leak. And then get the spin on kit to install when changing oil this time.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks