• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Seals leaking??

Brad

My Dad's 1953 M135 with a straight six GMC / Chevy engine has started to leak allot of oil and I think it is the rear main seal.
Dad had this engine rebuilt and then it sat for at least 8 years or more. I figure it must have dried out?
What kind of job is it to replace a seal in these engines??
If not too big a job I might try and replace myself
Thanks

Big Tom

That rear main seal would be a rope style drop the pan , drop the rear crank bearing and u will see seal pull it out and install the new seal it pulls around the crank . The new seal will have directions with it not a bad job once the pan is off. Be shure to retourqe the bearing to spec , off u go

Big Tom

Big Tom

No the front seal is in the timing chain cover. It's a Standard lip seal, to get to it pull off front crank pulleyamd remove timing chain cover seal is in the cover replace it and reinstall. Much easier than the rear seal

Big Tom

Just thinking about your troubles. Before jumping in here wash the motor real good then run it and see what's happening, could just be the pan gasket they are cork and tend to leak or come loose.just my thoughts

Big Tom

Brad

Thanks ya'all, and that is certainly my intention. The engine is still pretty darned clean and painted, I am going to clean it well and check it out first. It might even be a rubber filter line, but I think it id the rear seal from where the oilDSC_0303.JPG is, perhaps front and rear?
Thanks again

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks