• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil, To change or not to change

danjrofpa

My MEP 003 currently has 49 hours on it. I purchased it with 46 hrs. The dipstick tube has a tag on it (see picture) stating not to change oil until required (100 hrs). The oil is still clear when I check it and feels as though it is still the same consistency as the new oil that I have. I know this is probably a matter of opinion but I was wondering if you would change the oil now or wait until 100 hrs.
Thanks,
Dave
DSC05827.jpg

zout

Oil is cheap - safe security all is well in your engine - besides giving you a peace of mind.

Like that old Fram oil commercial - Pay me Now or Pay me Later.

Scarecrow1

Oil is said to break down only when it is subjected to heat generated by friction. If it is clear and just serviced then I would just run it until it is scheduled to be changed. I haven't changed the fluids in my truck since I bought it because of that reason. If I spend money I want it to count.

1800 Diesel

My MEP 003 currently has 49 hours on it. I purchased it with 46 hrs. The dipstick tube has a tag on it (see picture) stating not to change oil until required (100 hrs). The oil is still clear when I check it and feels as though it is still the same consistency as the new oil that I have. I know this is probably a matter of opinion but I was wondering if you would change the oil now or wait until 100 hrs.
Thanks,
Dave
If you haven't already done so I would verify that an oil filter is installed & also that the spring is installed in the housing. Somewhat of a messy job, but you can drain most of the oil from the filter using the small drain plug and also save it for re-use. I've come across several MEP2 & 3 models either missing the spring and/or the filter itself. Also have found the spring installed at the top, vice the bottom of the filter.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oil is said to break down only when it is subjected to heat generated by friction. If it is clear and just serviced then I would just run it until it is scheduled to be changed. I haven't changed the fluids in my truck since I bought it because of that reason. If I spend money I want it to count.
Oil also collects moisture from condensation with temperture changes , that is why manufacturers recommend changing at least once a year.

johnray13

I'd change it now. You've run it for 3 hours so any crap that had collected inside the motor should have been flushed out. New oil and filter and you'll sleep better at night.

Also, start it and get the engine warm just before you drain the old oil. Otherwise it'll take an eternity for the oil to drain.

John

PeterD

So many seem to be missing the point that the oil in the engine probably has additives as a break-in oil, and changing it will allow those additives to be lost. The military understood the issues of storage for periods of time after overhaul, hence the tag. Leave the oil in and follow those instructions.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So many seem to be missing the point that the oil in the engine probably has additives as a break-in oil, and changing it will allow those additives to be lost. The military understood the issues of storage for periods of time after overhaul, hence the tag. Leave the oil in and follow those instructions.
The military also had truckloads of generators to replace it with , if it failed from contaminated oil. Along with warehouses full of replacement engines.

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have located a service that will test any fluid for $8 including postage, and tell you exactly what the need is. They test for additives, acidity, contamination, metals etc etc. For 8 bucks, its a cheap and scientific way to know. If any one is interested, I can scan their card and send post the info (if its ok with site rules....)

MarcusOReallyus

So many seem to be missing the point that the oil in the engine probably has additives as a break-in oil, and changing it will allow those additives to be lost.

So replace it with fresh break-in oil and run it till 100 hours, then change to regular oil.

Done.

steelypip

Another factor I don't think anybody has mentioned: You're in Pennsylvania. There's this phenomenon known as 'winter' there in which the temperature gets very low for months at a time, and it's usually accompanied by a lot of water, frozen and otherwise, falling out of the sky.

Cold and damp = water in the oil. My MEP-002A doesn't really get all that hot in normal running anyway, and if yours has so few hours over the last year that it probably never got hot enough to cook the water out of the oil.

you have two options: 1) work the generator hard (75%+ of rated load) for an hour or two at rated load to get the oil hot enough to cook the water out of it, or 2) change the oil. Water in the oil = engine internal corrosion.

Better still would be to do both - the fuel system would probably appreciate the runtime as much as the crankcase would.

s011883

I agree. When I picked up my MEP005a in WI, I was told that when the generators are in service they would service the units once year and load test them no matter how my hours on the meter. Oil can only absorb so much moisture. CAT recommends that the oil be changed once a year if it has not made it to the 100 hour mark.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks