• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil

dieselolds

^Great Idea :idea:^ Thanks! I have several of those tubs around, use them for all kinds of things.

Exactly! For you Old Timers who have been there and done that, please remember that

1. There are new members to the site all the time, and that they might need or want to discuss a subject that you are tired of and already know everything about.

2. There is new information coming available all the time, such as changes in oil, and new tips and tricks lke TM America's tip on using a long tub for catching oil.

3. Oil is just plain fun and interesting for motorheads to discuss :grin:!

Did I mention that I love oil threads?

I love oil treads to :-D

I do also love oil changes and try to figure out the ultimat oil that makes engines last forever.
When i was a kid , all my plastic toy cars where dripping of oil.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
I use Rotella 15-40 in the Dueces, 5 tons and the M37. Im from Eastern North Carolina. If that helps. I do alot of research on SS in the threads, and I go to other web sites and forums to see what others say also. Theres alot more to oil than anyone would guess. -Jay

FormerNewMVGuy

Wow , I cant belive this old thread got revived! I been useing 15-40 in the deuce's but my cummins and powerstroke get 5-40 synthetic in the winter, Way faster cold weather starting times with synthetic

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wow , I cant belive this old thread got revived!
It is the SS Law!

1. Search

2. Revive appropriate thread of choice.

I make fun of the SS Search Nazis, but actually I agree with them. Since this forum is slanted towards technical information, we should respect that and not start a thread with a question without looking first.

Search Tip: Most forum search engines don't work well but try this - put in your search string like Deuce Motor Oil followed by site:steelsoldiers.com in Google and it will search this site very effectively. This is what you would put in the search box "Deuce Motor Oil site:steelsoldiers.com" Try it!

SasquatchSanta

That is just what you want, your oil will get rid of the water at those temperatures and stay much cleaner.

I have the opposite problem in the HEMTT, it takes 20 miles for the trans to get to 130 and 45 miles to get to 180. Even in the summer it takes a while but does eventually get 10 degrees above coolant temp.
My ability to control heat is probably because of an electric radiator fan that I insgtalled to replace the water pump fan. If memory serves me properly it comes on at 195 and goes off at 185.

Trails

Search Tip: Most forum search engines don't work well but try this - put in your search string like Deuce Motor Oil followed by site:steelsoldiers.com in Google and it will search this site very effectively. This is what you would put in the search box "Deuce Motor Oil site:steelsoldiers.com" Try it!
I've found that using this method is the best way to search any website. A lot of websites use Google custom search anyways, so why not go directly to the source? It's also useful if you're interested in searching a forum that you haven't joined. A lot of webmasters will lock up the search function for unregistered users. This is a step to prevent bots and other internet detritus from wasting their bandwidth.

Back on topic; my deuce isn't due for an oil change for a while, but I've been thinking about what to put in it so this thread is timely. I run Mobil 1 in my cars, though none of them use much north of a gallon. They also run very clean, the oil comes out the same color that it went in. I think I'll probably fill the deuce up with synthetic the first time around, then ship a sample out to the lab so I can see the thermal properties of my particular engine.

dieselolds

Wow , I cant belive this old thread got revived! I been useing 15-40 in the deuce's but my cummins and powerstroke get 5-40 synthetic in the winter, Way faster cold weather starting times with synthetic

Have you tried the syntetic in the M35 ?

broman78

Rotella makes a 30wt oil, i'm starting to see it in the advance auto parts, Autozone, O'reilly's in my area. Looks like Rotella did a slight rebranding of the producst also.

Scarecrow1

I think the tm when it was written was right in it's telling you to use the 30 wght..... But with the research and developement in the oil today, we may use much a more broad based oil to fit our needs so far as where we live and the temps we have at home so if you in say like florida and your temps are moderate , 30 wgt is fine but if you live in Alaska then it's not going to work ...... Use what the climate in your area requires to meet the max Protections for your Car or Truck ...:razz:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks