• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oily stuff coming out of Air Tanks..

DeucesWild11

I have been getting used to draining the air tanks after I turn off the Deuce.. The last two times I noticed this oily stuff coming out. Yes that is the correct technical term. It smells like Aaaa.. uhh pond water.. Has no taste.. yeah did that. I recently rebuilt the MC and Airpack and was wondering if that had something to do with it. Perhaps some lubrication oil got back to the tanks? Don't even know if that is possible. It's only out of one tank, the one closer to the center of the truck if that helps.. Dealing with a few weird things tonight.. Your thoughts?

Attachments

mudman

Deuces Wild.. once the rings get weak in the air compressor it sucks motor oil past the rings and puts in in the front OR(wet tank) if you will. Not really a problem now, but it will get worse, besides the brake system getting pretty oily. Easy fix though!!!

plym49

A little oil in there can't be bad. It might protect the insides of the air tanks from rust, and might keep your air pack happy.

DeucesWild11

Mudman, thanks for the info, I will keep in mind and monitor. May have to keep my eyes open for a compressor.

plym49, I was kind of thinking the same thing.. Cant' be too bad.. oily air is better than wet air!

DeucesWild11

Yep.. I did.. it smelled funny so I wanted to see if it tasted funny as well.. it didn't not at all, like tofu no taste at all.. anyway that is what spit is made for..

aaron379

Yep.. I did.. it smelled funny so I wanted to see if it tasted funny as well.. it didn't not at all, like tofu no taste at all.. anyway that is what spit is made for..
humm...... well........ ok thats good to know. hahaha but thats pretty funny, if we never hear from you again after this we'll at least know what happened And not to taste the oily crap our trucks leak haha

mudman

You just have to pick your spot when it comes to draining your tank
"A good Deuce, always markes it's spot".

To Westech!!! Thank you for your service, and hope you stay safe my brother!!!!

DeucesWild11

Then mine must be a GREAT deuce! I got a CV boot that's leaking a bit.. I believe I may have over tightened the oil filters on the last change leaving me with a wet drivers side engine and the now oily air tanks.. If it doesn't leave a mark behind I would be concerned!

SMOKEWAGON66

You oughta seen some of the nastiness that has spewed forth from some of my assigned military vehicles. Ive seen all sorts of gross, weird, and disgusting things drip, ooze or shoot out of the wet tank (number 3 of 4 on a 9 series ;) )...And 99% of the time i got a standard "oh thats normal" response from the unit maintenance people lol.

Oh and Westech....killer looking Big Red One you got there 8) I keep mine on my right shirt sleeve, not my skin lol...Stay safe in the 'stan!

Last edited:

silverstate55

Unemployable
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Reminds me of my old tank company...we had a mechanic everyone called "Earl" because of his penchant to be able to tell you what type of lubricant a mystery substance was by dipping a finger in it & tasting it... "90-weight," "40-weight," "30-weight," "10-weight" is what would usually follow a finger dipping & taste test. I have no idea what his real name was but his nickname was well-deserved as about 90% of the time he was dead on!

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Mine does the same thing. What is the easy fix?
Unless a compressor has 100% sealing on the ring(s), it's going to put some amount of oil in the tank(s).

So easy fix?

1. Live with it until it gets so bad you can't take it or the compressor doesn't put out any air pressure.
2. Replace with another used unit, hope it lasts awhile.
3. Replace with rebuilt/NOS compressor.

Also, this topic has been covered in depth before:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/67905-m-52a2-air-tank-sludge.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/50875-brake-air-tank-oil-puke.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/33912-oil-air-tank-bet-thats-not-good.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/9781-oily-discharge-inboard-air-tank.html

Jesse6325

You know SOMBODY has to make ring kits for the compressors,,,
That being said in 15 years of over the road driving I don't think I ever had a truck that did not put at least a little oil in the wet tank. From tired trucks with over 700,000 miles on them to brand new ones with less than 500 miles on em.
The way I look at it is the (realativly) small amout of oil that goes through the compressor keeps the valves in the compressor lubed,,,:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks