• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OK a little help,,, pump and roll on a fire truck that does not really allow for that

RangerJake72

I'm thinking there were a couple different versions of the 530, one was a structural pumper, and one was an airfield crash truck (which needs pump & roll) unless you wanted to get the same setup as the crash truck, I think you will have to go the auxiliary pump route (small gas/diesel or electric) and pipe it into the truck plumbing (some extra valves and hard rubber hydraulic style hoses) to enable you to accomplish pump & roll (I assume you are talking about working brushfires here, Forestry all our brush engines have auxiliary pumps for just this reason)

pyrogod117

Umm, I can't see ANY REASON why you need a 500 gpm pump on a brush truck. Even 250 gpm for that matter. We have a 500 gallon tank on our deuce, along with a gas powered pump. It has 2 small 1 3/4" lines, but we never use them because they dump the tank in a couple minutes. Your best bet is to use a 1" booster line on a reel, since this is easy and it stays round, regardless of if there is water in it or not. Put a fog nozzle on the end and you have the options to go from 5 gpm to 40 gpm. This works great for brush fires, and your tank will last you quite a while. Tiny little brush fires can be put out with 500 gallons of water easily with a booster line. Anything big, you need to make fire breaks, get helicopters/planes with water, set a backfire, etc.

Where I live is directly at the end of the funnel for brush fires in NJ. Our county burns the most out of all of them, and the way it moves, my town is the last thing for it to burn before it reaches the bay. It never makes it there though because NJ FFS is the best on the east coast.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you're trying to make this an engine, but I doubt that because you don't pump and roll with them.

P.S. If you don't already know, 50 gallons of foam costs a lot. It's $1,200 for a 55 gallon drum.

scootertrs

Yaaaa. I know about the price of foam, but a little birdie told me that even out of date foam is perfectly good... unless you fight airplane fires... out of date foam costs a dime on the dollar... works for me!

You see we are our own Private Fire Department fighting the fires the government FDs cannot or will not train to do. we do it for our company and we do it for neighbors that need the work done

Umm, I can't see ANY REASON why you need a 500 gpm pump on a brush truck. Even 250 gpm for that matter. We have a 500 gallon tank on our deuce, along with a gas powered pump. It has 2 small 1 3/4" lines, but we never use them because they dump the tank in a couple minutes. Your best bet is to use a 1" booster line on a reel, since this is easy and it stays round, regardless of if there is water in it or not. Put a fog nozzle on the end and you have the options to go from 5 gpm to 40 gpm. This works great for brush fires, and your tank will last you quite a while. Tiny little brush fires can be put out with 500 gallons of water easily with a booster line. Anything big, you need to make fire breaks, get helicopters/planes with water, set a backfire, etc.

Where I live is directly at the end of the funnel for brush fires in NJ. Our county burns the most out of all of them, and the way it moves, my town is the last thing for it to burn before it reaches the bay. It never makes it there though because NJ FFS is the best on the east coast.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you and you're trying to make this an engine, but I doubt that because you don't pump and roll with them.

P.S. If you don't already know, 50 gallons of foam costs a lot. It's $1,200 for a 55 gallon drum.

scootertrs

Ok, That solves your foam problem, but what type of fires are you fighting? Structure? Brush? Everything?
Imagine woodpile fires where equipment is within the burning pile. This equipment is, more than likely, full of diesel fuel, hydraulic oil or engine oil as well as coolant. If we can hit the equipment with the foam bringing the temps down and suffocating the oxygen from the metals and the volatile liquids... Of course, structures are sometimes involved but typically they are vacated of human life... We sometimes have operated machinery out of harms way... diesel does not explode!!! a temp gun really helps!!!

Our main goal is to have one or 2- 500 or 700 gpm guns directed at freshly exposed pockets of fire... once the ignited material is exposed, it is doused with either the foam or just water... This procedure is followed through until all obvious or concealed "hot pockets are addressed. Immediately after the fire is under control, a final "grind and douse" operation is implemented where all material that could still be on fire is put into a wood grinder while a good solid stream of water/water foam is directed at the grinder. the final stockpile of material coming through the grinder will be stockpiled into a wet, not oxygenable pile, where the fire will go out. We have performed this technique numerous times, always with a large amount of success. Until, the Marshall screams... Fire Out!!! and then we are good to go!

ptg530C

Not all 530c's had pump and roll. if it had pump and roll, there will be a small panel under the dash with a green or red light on it and a protected toggle switch. find the tm on the 530c for more info.

scootertrs

We have large agricultural wells that we can draft from ... and we better... Miami Dade County, Florida, calculates how many gallons are being used at the event and are currently planning to charge the owner suffering the fire. If it comes from a hydrant ... it is one thing, and easier to do if water comes from a hydrant, but they are talking about doing so in all situations. Seems to be one of those small business incentives we keep hearing about. Guess our property values go down, property taxes go down, tax revenues go down, belt tightening is in order... right? Not really for the government... ask them how many new pumpers, ladder trucks, rescue vehicles they got this year.... well, they were due to replace them... I come from a small family, and if we had planned to get a new car this year, but little Tommy came into the world at 3am, well guess what new car will have to wait... not here, not in politics, not when it comes to new fire trucks and hybrid - Electric buses... (don't want to go there)-we will find a new tax (except they will call it a fee)

cjcottrill

We took off the spare tire and pioneer storage rack, mounted a mil-surplus gas powered pump, connected to the bottom of the tank an instant brush truck. We also added an extra starter with a vbelt to turn the pump over. Easy draft, easy pump, years of service.

pyrogod117

We have large agricultural wells that we can draft from ... and we better... Miami Dade County, Florida, calculates how many gallons are being used at the event and are currently planning to charge the owner suffering the fire. If it comes from a hydrant ... it is one thing, and easier to do if water comes from a hydrant, but they are talking about doing so in all situations. Seems to be one of those small business incentives we keep hearing about. Guess our property values go down, property taxes go down, tax revenues go down, belt tightening is in order... right? Not really for the government... ask them how many new pumpers, ladder trucks, rescue vehicles they got this year.... well, they were due to replace them... I come from a small family, and if we had planned to get a new car this year, but little Tommy came into the world at 3am, well guess what new car will have to wait... not here, not in politics, not when it comes to new fire trucks and hybrid - Electric buses... (don't want to go there)-we will find a new tax (except they will call it a fee)
Fire trucks are a necessity. It's actually a law that you need to have a fire department in a town. The buses are a separate issue. Are they laying off any firemen or no?

Edit: Also keep in mind that the money to buy those trucks was probably bonded in 2008 or so before the economy collapsed. That's how our new ladder truck was. The $1 million was bonded in early 2008 and the truck was ordered in early 2009 and took about 8 months to build or something like that.

Last edited:

scootertrs

Fire trucks are a necessity. It's actually a law that you need to have a fire department in a town. The buses are a separate issue. Are they laying off any firemen or no?

Edit: Also keep in mind that the money to buy those trucks was probably bonded in 2008 or so before the economy collapsed. That's how our new ladder truck was. The $1 million was bonded in early 2008 and the truck was ordered in early 2009 and took about 8 months to build or something like that.
Interestingly enough, almost simultaneously with the attempts to raise the millage of our taxes, the howls and disquieting screams of our politicians were heard stating that the budgets would not support our police, fire or school system. Firemen and police officers would have to be laid off and in fact, immediaterly a hiring freeze would go into effect.

Shortly thereafter, many, many new fire trucks arrived as well as segmented hybrid/diesel buses. I understand bond issuance... but do most people understand? A bond is a loan to the bond holder, delaying payment , but payment none the less. I am so tired of our political leaders claiming that they have insufficient money to cover operational expenses yet they come up with the necessary "bond approval" to buy new buses and new fire trucks.

I say, government must live within its means as well as we have to. If my wife comes up to me and says... honey lets go to the movies, and I have to say... sorry babe... cannot today... money is tight... How can I explain going to the boat show (or government liquidations) and buying a new toy simply because I can get someone to finance it for me. I am a firm believer that I as well as my family, must function with one pocket... the pocket that pays the mortgage, also pays for the groceries, the gas, the medical insurance, etc. If I cannot afford one, I cannot afford the other and in fact, an order of priorities is designed so that we can meet our obligations. None of this... this comes out of capital expense, or this come out of repair and maintenance... etc. Mr Mayor... it all comes out of the same pocket.... Mine!!!

That bus fiasco in Miami is embarrassing. I have stopped the buses at all times during the day in the areas of most ridership and I can attest that every one of the buses has had less than 10% capacity occupied. Bond or no Bond... shameful.

Hopefully we will make it past November.

pyrogod117

I get what you're saying and I agree, but governments will never work like that. They spend like crazy because it isn't their money. And they know they'll get more the next year. So they don't care.

scootertrs

Know what? I think it's time they cared. I think it's time that they realized that if they want to keep their positions, they need to be responsible adults about our finances. I don't want or expect them to do anything more than I have to do every Friday at payroll time. I am partially responsible for this situation. I cannot help but get a twinge in the pit of my stomach when I buy an 818 with 103 hours and 3,100 miles (real ones) for $3500. There is nothing wrong with this truck. This truck is cherry. I would get in it and drive it cross country without any hesitation. I am certain we (as taxpayers) bought a truck that is almost identical, to do a similar job, for well over $100K. I have that 818. Deals like that are everywhere on Gov Liq. We have a... what is it... thirteen trillion dollar deficit????? AAAHHHHH I need to get off this soapbox... But I want this crazy spending wheel to stop

scootertrs

Know what??? my little deuce drafted and put out the fire that the big FD could not (because it could not draft-and hydrants were 2000 ft away) and 1 hour later we boogalooded back to the station while the big, bad fire truck (all cool and everything) went home with it's tail between its legs, (if we could have played tha "macarena" it would have been special, because not only did it not have a proper flotation drafting source, it could not generate a vaccumm to draft from a lake that was 8 feet below inlet for the truck... a good time was had by all (at least the firefighters that were on the deuce)... gotta love a deuce!!!!!!! She is such a good girl!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
:tigger:

You can't gold plate a turd (well you can but then you just have an expensive POS).

By the time all the lawyers and federal agencies have been gratified most stuff made today is overpriced and worthless.

Like my old rat biker buddy used to say "chrome won't get you home".

dmetalmiki

Phew! that was some reading..I so like my M45 530b (which does have pump and roll) and I have (now) been jogged into a self refresher course on how to use all the functions..I do have all and every t.m. for the unit as well though. including piping and electrical schematics. And it is so good to parade it as (over here) it is litrally one of a kind All working good..modified normally aspirated engine (now) converted to a whistling turbo so now it both sounds and looks, and performs fantastic.
http://youtu.be/OyxIJUq7rww

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks