• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok, Help!! Mystery 1942 GPW. What the Heck Do I have Here.

70deuce

Storing this what should be a 7-13 -42, 1942 GPW, serial number 47473 for a friend. Frame number matches data plate as seen in pics. It has what look like some strange factory/field mods like an ash tray, cigarette lighter and rear tub extension with fuel can mounts on each side. Looks like correct spare tire remounted on the tub extension. Thing has a Willy windshield assembly, late CJ rear axle. Wrong engine. Front axle looks correct. Flip up headlight hinges are mounted on top of the grill assembly, not underneath like my GPW and MB. Note the Ford script bolts on the hinges. They are all over the Jeep. It was submerged at one point. I pulled trans cover and the guts are rusted solid and unrecognizable. Haven’t pulled front axle cover yet. Pics of the distributor and generator installed on this guy below. Is it possible this Jeep might have been a general’s or special use Jeep of some sort? I have seen WWII pictures somewhere where the GPW/MB had this type of rear tub extension but sure can’t find them now. Pipe in with ideas on this thing and old pictures of you have them or can find some. Pretty cool this unit has the matching data plates but all kinds of strange non-GPW/MB mods done to it. Any ideas or help much appreciated.

Attachments

70deuce

More pics. Tub in pretty good shape. Big Question is this thing a diamond in the rough? Chime in if you see obvious CJ parts on this thing.

Attachments

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You have a garden variety '42 Ford that never left the United States. All the aftermarket add ons are JC Whitney items available back in the day. Solid restoration candidate. Tires, wheels, rear panel, windshield, engine overhaul, T84 transmission, brakes, wiring, seating ... you will have 5K in it quick.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks