• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ok...here we go...

DonK

I'm trying to be calm, but this is becoming quite annoying. My M1009 with not start properly when cold, even at 85 OAT. When attempting to start I get the Wait Light, for what seem like an eternity, and also hear the GP relay energize. The GP's test ok and the VD is at around 8vdc at the load side of the GP relay....It turns over nice and strong and starts after about 1 to 2 seconds...then it dies. After that it takes 4 or 5 more attempts to get it to fire up. Here's what i'm thinkin...Fuel prime issue...but the extended Wait Light time is givin me heartburn also. Got a new controller card comin...OK, let me have it...

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use the TM to test the GP Controler system and also check for air in the fuel.

DonK

I know you don't want to hear this, but did you follow the TM on trouble shooting this problem? It is in the -20 TM
Thanks Eric...you're right and no I haven't. It's a PINB when the TM is on your Wifes computer and she's "farmtownin"....nuf said...arg. I need to find a REAL hand held copy of the manual.

bushhawg73

I have had close to the same problem you are having, mine is a 1984 1008. I found a tech bullentin online and it has been posted here on SS.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/778201-post10.html
I beleive this will really help my truck and may also help you also. I also changed over to the push button glow plug system and removed my resistor behind my air cleaner. IIRC I ran a wire from the 12 volt junction block behind the rear battery to the glow plug relay and my truck has never started better. I hope this may help.

It definitely sounds like air in the fuel/loosing prime. You said that it will start and run for 1-2 seconds which would indicate it's burning off what little diesel is left in the IP, then it starts sucking air. It running for that short of a time, and then it taking multiple attempts in order to get it to run is pretty indicative of a fuel delivery problem (air in the lines). Myy 1009 had the exact same symptoms last winter (I tested the glow plugs and relay which turned out to be ok. I checked my box fuel filter and saw that it was pretty damp on the bottom by the water drain. Turns out I was leaking quite a bit of diesel while the motor was running. I couldn't let it sit for 15 minutes without running, otherwise I had to crank, and crank, and crank some more to purge the air out of the system.) So, I added a spin on fuel filter. That solved all of my starting problems, even when it was 10 degrees out. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/36435-my-cucv-spin-fuel-filter-mod.html

Where are you at in S.S? I got some family out there off of GA 11 in the surey chase subdivision...Im down there pretty regularly and might be able to help ya out if you need anything...

Last edited:

acmunro

It also sounds to me like air in the fuel system problem. Do you have a way you can park the truck with the nose down ? (Back the vehicle up a hill and let it sit overnight.) This is one trick I have used to figure out if it is fuel or not. If the tank is higher than normal the fuel is less likely to drain back due to an air leak. I always avoid parking these trucks with the nose up unless I have added an electric fuel pump. Good luck

Fuel issues with diesels I have dealt with a lot. I found putting a electric fuel pump in before fuel filter. Then I loosen every screw connection in the fuel lines, all the way to the injectors. I have found in the proses of doing this bad hoses and lose connections are found and fixed. I learn this in the national guard from a CW3 with 20 plus years of mech work on military vehicles. It works on all diesel engines....

DonK

Ok, here's what I found so far. The drain plug on the Filter assembly was loose and the drain hose was clogged with a Muddobber, Mud Wasp, whatever U want to call it. Went ahead and changed with filter, figured it couldn't hurt. While changing the filter I found the connector loose on the Temp Sensor for the GP's. Fixed that, then primed her up reconnected the Pink Wire and way she went. Now I may have another issue...the idle has increased for some reason.
BTW...during all this my new Controller Card showed up:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks