• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok, I'll say it, the deuce is not that "awesome" o

6x6Lee

Ok, I have enough guts to post this, The 6x6 2.5 or 5 ton is not that great in real offroad situations! I have owned a m54 and I own right now a m35. I got my m54 stuck in a really sad creek bank. With 20 people in the back they could not beileve I got stuck! To say the least I was pissed! I could not tell you how many ex marines or army have told me, " that truck will take you any where you want to go!" Before you jump to conclusions, about me or my driving style, I must say I love my deuce and will NEVER sell or side with it! I have been building mud bogging trucks rock climbers and jeeps for some time now and I know how to drive and approach off road situations. Here is what I don't like about my m35 or the m54(sold).
1. No lockers (why?!?!?!)
2. No wheel speed
3. Mobility/weight

Trango

Well, the M35 is alot more nimble than a 5 ton, but it ain't no rock buggy, that's for sure. :)

Good to see a fellow offroad builder on here.

jwaller

I don't know many 13k lb vehicles with little to no power that do very well at anything other than going slow and sucking down fuel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's not that great off road as it is. Forget wheel speed, show me an MV with wheel speed. Lockers shoulda been there but they're not. They make a huge difference. NDTs and NDCC tires are a nearly 70 year old design, don't expect too much from them. If you're going to off road the deuce, add the lockers or air shift axles, super single floats and beadlocks. That, will make a monster out of it in the off road world. Don't forget to factor in the 13500# of the truck and unsafe load of 20 folks in the back while off roading. Whats that, another 3000#? It's an all wheel drive truck but its not unstopable as some folks think. Look at the good side, you've now learned your vehicles limitations.

rdixiemiller

I always try to use all wheel drive in interesting situations, but not impossible ones. Deuces are definately not mud bog trucks. They are quite capable of their designed task, haul cargo across poor roads and battle fields.
Like you said:
1) No wheel speed- and you really can't change that.
2) No lockers- This can be changed, although you can get some really interesting steering issues in slimy stuff!
3) Weight- These things can sink clean out of sight in the right glop!

Good points:
1) If you can get the traction, you can pull some really really stuck vehicles out of the mud. If they are not put together well, you will at least get the bumper!
2) You can cross some pretty extreme ditches, things that will often trap a Jeep.
3) Can't beat the "Cool" factor!
4) You can carry lots and lots of beer, tools, food, camping gear, etc. on the next club ride.
5) College girls dig them!

I wouldn't be without a deuce, just too much fun. I have, however, resisted the pleadings of the local kids to go try out their favorite mudholes. Said kids are slowly filling in this hole with spider gears, axles, transmissions, etc. on their weekly 4x4 destroying parties. I have retrieved a few of their semi destroyed buggies for them, I can drag one home regardless of how many important parts they have destroyed!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
you do understand this post is akin the me going to JF, JU, or god forbid pirate and griping about how bad a jeep is for hauling 6000lbs of cargo. aua

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
20 people in the back? Unsafe off-roading is an understatement!
I always use tire chains when in mud, snow or questionable off-road situations. In 11 years , never got stuck and i have hauled some heavy stuff out of the woods on often muddy hilly terrain.
Added weight and singles help a lot too., but nothing (except perhaps lockers, see M621 series) beats tire chains and then the tire tread becomes a non-issue to boot.
If the wheels spin, you have lost traction, no point in spinning them further. May look cool to some, but not an impressive display of off road driving skill.
Duals gives you more floatation, but in mud you may be better off finding traction below the muck (=singles).
Used and prepped right the deuce is impressive.

hot rod deuce

I too agree with what he said but now compare trucks to trucks and not cars to trucks. That like saying a new dodge cummins is no good becase my corvtte goes faster! take the m35 out and then go get an old twin screw strait truck and see how far you get. Compared to a conventional truck its like corvette Vs. Geo. Now lets not compare NDCC so super swampers but rather to what your average medium duty truck would have. Suddenly you have an off road machine.

6x6Lee

I agree HRD, a tandem axle semi will not go anywhere. But my main point I was trying to make is..........The 6x6 is not as impressive as It's reputation makes it out to be. I can say that because I own one. I will say this my M35 W/w is twice as capable of offroad situations than my m54 was!

Twinpinion

I think they do pretty good considering how big, heavy, and unmaneuverable they are. I drove one on Hell's Revenge and part of Golden Spike in Moab, UT. Yeah, the tires suck, especially on ice. But if you air them down below the recommended off-road pressure they start working. We had the front at around 15psi and the rears (all 8 of 'em) were at around 10psi. They have tubes so no need to worry about popping a bead. Yep, it's way harder to steer if you're not moving but it sure does ride nice over the rough stuff and make sick traction! Even one locker in one of the rear axles would make a huge difference too. With three lockers and some different tires you would be unstoppable. Now the real question, who's gonna step up and make that GM-14 bolt ARB air locker fit in the deuce? Very similar dimensions if ya haven't looked. Would be perfect in the front end (Detroits or Ouverson out back).

FSBruva

Deuces may not be perfect....

But they are perfect for me. I think they are drawbacks to the deuce, sure... but for $5K, I got one hell of a truck.

Matt

motorolanut

I agree with all the above, HA, but if you bought a duece or 5 ton for mudding, someone sold you a bridge somewhere. The trucks will work but not without considerable modifications and $$$$

FSBruva

There was some discussion about it awhile back, but it was one of those things where a certain number of people had to commit to the project before the next phase of the moon or the opportunity to have them made would be lost forever. I don't think we had enough folks roger up with the cash to cause the prospective fabricator to proceed.

Matt

hot rod deuce

The ouverson is really just a copy of the detroit but MUCH better iron. Some one will come up with an air locker, I have been trying to get Randy Ouverson to do it but i dont think he wants to put a bunch of effort into it if ARB gets into the game.