• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok, I'm confused....

swhpaz

I've been reading up on leaky rear axles, since thats what mine is doing, and have become some what confused as to what maybe causing mine to leak. I've replaced the front, inner seals on my truck and if I don't need to I really don't want to do the same on the rears.

My problem was a leaky left rear axle. Fluid on the inner wheel. Checked the vent and yes it was plugged. Cleaned it out and the left wheel cleared up. A couple of weeks later the right rear wheel started leaking, inner wheel again. Screwed around with the axle vent again, again the leak cleared up.

Drove it around for several days, no problems untill the end of the weekend when both inner wheels started showing gear oil. It does not pool on the ground when parked, but it sure is throwing a lot of gear oil on the wheels when driving around.

Bad Vent, Bad Inner Seals??????

dittle

Bad inner seals is my guess (mine had the same symptoms). Very easy to replace, if you have the correct tools about 20 minutes per axel once you have the truck off the ground.

dittle

If you have a wheel dolly don't unbolt the tires from the hub, just pull the axel, remove the bearings (and lock nut) and pull the entire assy off (hub and tires) as one piece. The replace the keyway seal and put it back on in reverse order.

stumps

A couple of other things that didn't get mentioned: 1) the fill level for the differentials is 1-2 knuckles below the filler hole, and 2) if the bearings have too much play in them, even brand new seals will leak. And, of course, don't forget the cork seals. Some guys just use silicone seal, but I prefer to wedge a piece of cork, dipped in silicone seal... I'm a belt and suspenders sort of guy.

-Chuck

Brian Thomas

Where would a guy get that neat little book shown in post #6 with the cartoon explianations of duce symptoms? I would love to get one or see one that was easier to read with out the tiny type.

BugEyeBear

AND be sure that your axle vents are not plugged!

A plugged vent will cause pressure to build up in your axles & this will force axle oil out through the seals.

You can clean the vents by removing them & then spraying some brake cleaner thru them. Test by blowing thru from the threaded side. You should be able to blow, but not suck.

OR buy & install new vents (approx $7-$8 ea).

OR install modern Jeep type remote vents (barbed fitting at axle, hose routed to high location up in the frame, Jeep Wrangler rear axle breather).

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks