• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ok I've been talked into keeping the 24v system

mangus580

These are the only direct replacement plugs available. (others you have to change the ends on all the wires). I have had 'ok' luck with them in my M1009.

If I was going to replace them with a more 'civilian' glow plug, I would use the Bosch Duraterm. I just put a set of them in my wifes suburban, and I am quite impressed with how well they work. They also get great reviews on the GM diesel forums.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All CUCV's use a 12v GP(10.5v actually)

I suggest you use AC60G GPs

And change your wire end terminals to new insulated 1/4" female spade, to fit them.

I also suggest you resupply the GP relay with 12v(original is 24v but it goes through 2 resistors and it drops if all GPs are good). If you resupply it with 12V, you will not have all of the GPs fail, when only one goes bad.

I have been set up like this for 2 years and it is working great.

Also, I highly suggest you replace the under dash starter relay with a heavier type relay. I have explained this modification in a thread called"doghead relay modification http://www.steelsoldiers.com/cucv/32943-doghead-starter-relay-modifcation.html

If you want to, PM me your number and I will explain in more detail, any of this.

Last edited:

ralbelt

Ditto on what Doghead has suggested. I have this same setup and no problems.

And remember boys and girls the first rule of owning a CUCV. If its rubber replace it, if its electrical clean it.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes

Y2815

Do I understand that if I use the AC60's I have to convert that portion of the system to 12v? I am a new owner of a 1009 and new to 24v and Diesel. Thanks

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The stock CUCV glowplug system uses 12v plugs. GM designed the system to work with a dead truck being jumped with another 24v truck. Inorder to do that they installed a BIG resistor pack that will drop the voltage for the GPs from 24v to 12v.

Onbly thing that needs to be changed to use the AC60s is to install new terminal ends or grind the terminals on the new plugs to fit the old ends.

Read the this sticky to help understand the system

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?62477-GP-Module-Theory-of-Operation

As a matter of fact it is a good idea to read all the CUCV stickies and download all the free CUCV Technical Manuals.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks