• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok so my m37 318 is running bad it will run fine then it will chug until its ded

bubba_got_you

Ok so my m37 318 is running bad it will run fine then it will chug until its ded. I the problem only happens at idle
There is no unusual noise so I figure it’s a fuel problem because it will run fine then no go. It will restart after I pump the gas and crank for 30 sec.
[FONT=&quot]So I replaced the fuel filter thinking maybe it’s clogged…nope…. but I did replace with a glass filter so now I can see what’s happening. So when its at idle the fuel filter will run almost dry with the pump only spattering a little bit of fuel in and the filter is practically empty. Im thinking a bad fuel pump? Because it only happens at idle and will run ok with the idle way up. Maybe a hole in a diaphragm? :|[/FONT]

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Go test your fuel pump. Get a vacuum/pressure gauge (see picture below) from anywhere-Lisle Tools, Sears, Snap-on, etc. Disconnect the outlet hose from the fuel pump and have someone turn the engine over with the starter. The gauge should read to full pressure with 2-4 pumps and the needle should stay (i.e. not lose pressure). Once the pump has cycled 2-4 times, the needle should stay more or less in the same place.

Attachments

stalker

Do you have a mechanical or electric fuel pump? If mechanical then I would think that could be your problem because a weak pump could compensate w/ higher rpm but not an electric model. Just a thought.

bubba_got_you

Go test your fuel pump. Get a vacuum/pressure gauge (see picture below) from anywhere-Lisle Tools, Sears, Snap-on, etc. Disconnect the outlet hose from the fuel pump and have someone turn the engine over with the starter. The gauge should read to full pressure with 2-4 pumps and the needle should stay (i.e. not lose pressure). Once the pump has cycled 2-4 times, the needle should stay more or less in the same place.
:doh: why didn't i think of that. i got a Gage sitting in one of my tool boxes:doh:
[FONT=&quot] But the last thing I want to see it it be ok……because it means its something else lol [/FONT]

badgmc56

The reason the fuel filter was getting dry is as the motor was being flooded, the RPM was dropping and the pump was not pumping enough to keep up with what the carb was dumping in. If you suspect a flooding carb, just look down the throat of the carb and you can see fuel dumping in. You should not see any fuel being introduced unless you are opening up the throttle. Then you are activating the accelerator pump.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks