• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok, thoroughly confused now....

I have been reading this morning about jumpstarting procedures( I do not have a slave cable...YET!). I bought another M35A2 and I'm going to pick it up today. I need to jump start it off of my M1009. How do I hook the regular jumper cables up. Guy at lot said it pull starts easily but I would rather not do that. Thanks for any help!

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
the deuce has 24 volt system so it has a 12 volt 'low' battery with negative going to frame and a 12 volt 'high' battery with neg going to pos of the 'low' battery. i.e they are in series. you need two batteries in series to jump it. frame neg to frame neg and 'high' batt pos to other 'high' bat pos.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
If you don't understand the charging system, PULL START THE TRUCK! It can save you expensive parts and bodily harm. Since you KNOW it needs batterys, why not take a set? At the very LEAST, you might save your alt from burning up.

MilSpec78

Sometimes only one battery is low or dead. I jumped my m35 many times when I first got it with just one 12v battery connected in parallel to the dead battery with jumper cables.

If you don't understand the charging system, PULL START THE TRUCK! It can save you expensive parts and bodily harm. Since you KNOW it needs batterys, why not take a set? At the very LEAST, you might save your alt from burning up.

Ok, so the issue wasn't bad batteries, it has a 12 volt alternator installed on it as well. The guy at the lot wanted me to be aware of this conversion before taking it. Sort of a stand alone 12 volt system. They do this to run 12 volt lights and so if the lights are left on and run down the 12 volt system, you can switch back to 24 volt to start truck. Wildland fire here in South Dakota had it. Evidently, they do this conversion on all the 24 volt stuff. Listing said it had bad batteries but once I got there and spoke to lot attendant, he explained the system to me and it makes sense in theory but not something I would do. Got it home with no issues. Thanks to you guys for the input. Now, I'm going to put it all back to TM specs and get her ready for paint. Thanks again.

Last edited:

M813A1

You can make a pair of slave cables with parts off of EGay and some heavy gauge wire from a welding shop !! That is what I did to make my set of slave cables . I bought 2 cable ends off E Gau for $ 35 each and bought some 30' of arc welder cable cut it in half and then attached my ends also I bought 2 ea. of the 2 pin to 1 pin adaptors for the slave cable !!Because there are plenty without the NATO plug and still the older 2 pin recptacles on trucks out there. Good Luck !!

You can make a pair of slave cables with parts off of EGay and some heavy gauge wire from a welding shop !! That is what I did to make my set of slave cables . I bought 2 cable ends off E Gau for $ 35 each and bought some 30' of arc welder cable cut it in half and then attached my ends also I bought 2 ea. of the 2 pin to 1 pin adaptors for the slave cable !!Because there are plenty without the NATO plug and still the older 2 pin recptacles on trucks out there. Good Luck !!
Great idea! I'll be c ollecting those parts ASAP!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks