• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old 331 gas deuces?(M108)

csimvwtnt

oh im very proficient in mechanics, machining and welding. but i don't like to spend all my time fixing as opposed to driving. 1 or 2 things one in a while is ok, after i get it initially squared away. im used to worse. i put a 5000 dollar crate motor in an 88 3/4 ton suburban i had, only to have it spin a bearing a week later. pos. that thing was a cursed money pit and i still have flashbacks when i look at getting another used vehicle.

Irv

I also have a M108 with a Gold Comet gasser. Truck is made by Studebaker. I had to replace the engine with another 331 Gold Comet some time back. Somebody in the past had messed everything up and the bearings seized, etc. You may note how well it steers, compared to the more modern M35A2. That's because the early gasser dueces were designed for that amount of engine weight. They steer just fine. When the military decided to go with the new fangled multifuel, a much heavier engine, they realized that the heavier engine would make it steer harder, but they went cheap and failed to include power steering to compensate for it. There is a manual in the RESOURCES part of Steel Soldiers that describes how to operate the crane part in good detail. Well worth downloading. Don't forget to grease the throwout bearing. It's hard to spot during a routine grease-job. Look up through the rectangular hole in the bell housing and you will find it hidden up there in plain sight. Need a flashlight. It must be greased or it will fail. Starts by howling. Irv

P.S. What color is it? Mine is yellow, and there is no green underneath it. Turns out that in 1953, several Airforce bases received the M108 to replace the ww2 bomb truck because the bombs were getting to big for it. Airforce used them on base and no need for green paint. Factory original yellow all over it. Some M108s were used as part of a missile system for a short time, and those were green.

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also another M108 owner here. About the most useful truck I've ever owned. You may think a crane is something that doesn't get much use. That is until you own one. Mine's always being used to load and move stuff around, makes life so much easier.

Mine was a gasser, and the engine did run well. But being such an old truck, and neglected for so long, the gaskets in the engine would puke anytime it was over an idle speed. I ended up changing it to a multifuel, with air shift transfer and overdrive transmission. It is now a very reliable truck, that I have driven out of state.

All the brake lines, master cylinder, airpack, and wheel cylinders ended up rebuilt or replaced. About half of the torque rods were bad. Electrical harness was shot and replaced.

It depends on how the truck was treated. Mine was a construction/off road truck and no maintenance had been done to it in a long time.

The original color was air force strata blue on mine. It's a 53 reo.

1500 is a great price if the truck is just complete. I've seen asking prices of 19,000 to 10,000 for running trucks. They sell so rarly it is hard to get a price for them. I think Jtonka sold one for 6,000 recently.

If you search M108, there is plenty of information on the site. Here is a couple of links to when mine was rebuilt.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/33686-extensive-m108-repairs.html

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/34765-extensive-m108-repairs-part-2-a.html

Dennis

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 53 Stude M108 as well. Base color on mine was Strata Blue (or whatever blue they used in 53). No traces of green anywhere. Currently it is school bus yellow (eeeck). There are a few of the hydraulic fittings that are made of unobtanium but thats it. Most folks report that even without a load, 45 MPH is about the max the 331 can deliver. When my 331 bought the farm, I did the unspeakable, put in a multifuel. Hugh difference, the truck is so much nicer with the multi.

Repower thread! http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/3910-deuce-wrecker-engine-swap.html

Last edited:

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another note... the gasser will be easier to start in the cold. I was able to hold 55-60 on the flats with the gasser engine, with new distributor and plugs.

AZDeuce

While the multi-fuel M35A2 has more power, gets up to speed faster, and get's better mileage, I still prefer the gasser M35 for off road use. Why? because they're quiter and you can "sneak" around the desert easier. If you're a gear-head then the mechanical aspects of the O-331 will be easy to deal with, I'm a lot more familiar with it than with my current multi-fuel ( but I'm learning). If I could find a good M108 gas or multi, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Those trucks are usefull for all types of situations....like, engine swaps, pulling stumps, whatever. BUY it! You won't regret it.

Irv

Oh yeah. Jump on it for $1500! By the way, the crane part of the truck is a commercial unit made by Austin-Western, and parts should be available through normal commercial channels. The crane portion on mine was rebuilt in 1996 by the previous owner, thankfully. Works great. Leaks a little at the controls.

I do have a minor problem with starting it sometimes. I go to crank it over and it acts like I have no ignition until all of a sudden, it just springs to life and runs great. Probably a loose wire or crudd on the points, I'm guessing. Another thing that happens is sometimes it flat won't start and when I go lift the hood, I find several of the plug wires blown out of the distributor. Someone took off the military wires and put civilian wires in there. I guess oil mist is getting in there through the distributor shaft or the vents to the carb and a spark ignites it and blows the wires clean out of the distributor. I'm guessing maybe it's the ether that I have had to use to get it started. Maybe that is flowing to the distributor via the vent lines that are there to purge the distributor. Ideas? Thanks. Irv

AZDeuce

Not water, there are airlines force feeding the distributor to keep water out, and the coil cool (so I've been told), cut/remove the airlines and it will quit doing that... OR buy the correct spark plug wires to avoid that....in my case I just cut the hoses to get her home, but will replace when everything is properly repaired/replaced. On mine there were two hoses, ......of course, I cut the wrong one first...DOH!

Brian Thomas

So witch is it?

I have read thet gassers can out run a multi and have heard multis can out run a gasser. I know 45 was not a problem and 62 was the top speed of my gasser with a 2003 dodge diesel chasing. Or is it merly a case of " I heard it so it must be true"?
The truck I have runs out good and does not drink gas like some who dont have a gasser would say. I have not ever driven a diesel deuce so I cant say either way?

Barrman

I will jump in here as well. My 1952 Gasser M35 runs great, will out run the multi fuel on flat level ground and fires right up like it wants to go do some work. I redid started with a new engine though. Hills make it slow way down.

This engine and truck combination were designed to haul 2-1/2 tons over trails at speeds up to 35-45 mph. With that in mind, the OA-331 does it to perfection. The super low (425 rpm) idle speed makes low 1st truly a granny gear that allows true crawling with a load up just about anything.

I would invest in a carb kit, points and a new coil. If you dont' need them, stash them in the storage box for when you do. Plugs, wires and all the usual tune up stuff should also be done.

The oil system is the old bypass type. Another member here converted his to full flow filtering and if I ever stop buying more trucks, I will do the same to mine. Other than that, tune it up and use it. Oh, you probably won't have this problem where you live. But, hot starts in hot weather are a problem I have every now and then. I have been playing with the float to get it just right. I haven't gotten there yet though.

JasonS

As Barrman indicated, there are several things that can be done to make the gas engine a litle more user friendly.

I found my hot start problem to be significantly alleviated by using a newer holley carburetor and a 12V armature in the starter.

A civvy distributor and pertronix didn't necessarily increase spark energy but they did make it more reliable.

A full flow oil filter keeps engine damaging debris out.

rflegal

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a gasser too and I like it. Mine a longbed M36. Note the difference in the trannys vs. multifuels; your OD is 1:1. I just picked up a reprint of the TM for the engine/clutch on ebay for a reasonable sum. Looks like he listed another. I thought it was an OK deal, might want to get one. Search for TM9 8023-1. Most of the other refs are here in the TM sections. Welcome aboard.:-o

2027Deuce

Yup the gasser will outrun the multi and remember thats with a direct drive 3052 not an OD 3053 like the multis have. AND the gasser just sounds sweet, makes a great parade truck because it exhausts out the back and not all over everyone standing on the passenger side. Mileage is too bad to measure so if you plan a big trip, buy oil stock before you leave.

i sure think the guys that knock the gasser milage should get one and try it out.mine gets better milage than my 81 chev 350 with 650 holly and 33 inch tires and theres a guy on here with a 455 olds in his he says he gets 12 mpg with 400 hp and 500 lbs torque.,,i have a 455 rocket and trans sitting out back might be a fun project.

Barrman

wldrbob,
I have a 1952 M35 Gasser with a OA331 engine and 11.00x20 NDT tires. I have put several thousand miles on it in the past few years. I record my fuel use. Anytime I drive more than 35-40 mph, I get 4.6-5.3 mpg. That is all that needs to be said about getting out and trying it.

Sure, if I drove 35-40 everywhere, I probably would get 8-12 mpg. Wouldn't have any hearing issues, would be able to read every mail box as I passed it and probably get run over by an oil field truck. The truck is happy at 46 indicated with works out to around 50-51 mph so I run it there.

I had a '77 K30 with the 33 tires, 350 and big carb as well years ago. 7-9 mpg was what it got. It could run 60-70 mph all day long too. Comparing small trucks to M trucks is an endless and un winnable debate. They each do what they were designed to do and the design goals of both are different. Comparing the GMC duece in your avatar to the REO M35 is a bit of apples and oranges as well. Especially if you have non stock drive train parts.

We all know that diesel engines are 20-30 percent more efficient than gasoline engines. People get 8-10 mpg with a multifuel powered M35A2's all the time. Take away 20-30 percent of that and you are in the 5-8 range. Just about what I get with my totally new and still breaking in OA331. It is what it is and the man that started this thread asked what kind of mileage he could expect. Those of us with personal experience driving OA331 powered Dueces answered as honestly as we could.

yes good answer i had a 345 international that got 6 mpg till i changed the carb then it went up to 16. my 302 gets 14 mpg and has enough power i guess im just lucky my 135 is all stock .another thing some ppl figure there milage by adding in the ofroad time . in low range loaded heavy i might get 2mpg ofroad

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yep my 1952 M135 is stock also and gets right at 14mpg also, and so much less noise than my M109 or M818. It just it is hard to relax when driving something at speed that is as old as I! I'm no longer stock, have a plate and screws, glasses and take two meds just to keep moving.;)

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks