• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old 331 gas deuces?(M108)

ya mines 2 years older than me lol .id love to put a good 350 fuel ingected gas motor in it . my 3/4 ton with a welder and all the tanks and extra stuff that helps fill up a truck pulls a small backhoe and trailer total weight it about 15000 lbs and if i drive it 55 to 60 mph i get 15 or 16 mpg that should move a deuce along nicely.

well if your f250 has 43 in tires 5.40 gears low range and a 460 id bet it wouldnt be much different lol... anyhow i use mine on the farm way more than i use my 4x4 chevie its just so much nicer to drive over brush and along fence lines with it . and with the singles its real good if its muddy.

Last edited:

Brian Thomas

I find it not very realistic that a gas deuce could be better on mileage that a 3/4 ton small block powered truck regaurdless of make. The duece has a amll inch engine and is moving twice the weight and has half the gearing. If you ask 10 guys that all own the same truck for year and engine and driving habbits you will get 10 different aswers and some will be double the numbers than some of the other guys. If you get 5-7mpg out of a gas deuce, then my friend your doing just as good as the rest of us.

15 mpg with a 3/4 grossing out at 15000? This I not only doubt but it is impossible with a 350 small block. If you think i'm being unfair then think about this, I have a STOCK 03 Dodge 2500 with a auto trans. If you read the counter above the mirror it reads 19.5 with no load and I drive like I am in no hurry at all. When filling up and doing the math at the pump it comes out to 16.7 every time and pulling 12000 pounds it gets 10 with the pedal floored or coasting down a hill. I have done the math several times an it comes out the same every time.

I have owned trucks with injected 350 engines and they got around 6-7 moving the kind of weight numbers your talking, but empty they would get double the mileage.

My old mans Lincoln when coasting down a hill says its getting 99.9 mpg so what does that tell ya?

It's all in who you ask.

Last edited:
well my 4x4 trucks a 5 speed and i pull in 3 or 4th 30 to 40 mph i get paid by the mile so it dosent matter how long it takes me to get someplace . and i still find it hard to belive that most ppl on this site think the deuce is a huge truck its a great truck .and compared to half ton trucks it looks prety big . in reality its only has a little more capacity than a ford f550 a light duty truck in todays world. and they run those with 6.0 lt diesels and 5 speed autos.so to anybody that wants to repower your deuce with gas or diesel i say just go for it. put on, an add on overdrive and that solves your low gears . there good for trucks up to 25000 lbs or so. one other thing our gallons are a bit bigger im not sure how texas likes that lol (your gallon is 3,78 litrs our gallon is 4.546 liters think of liters as quarts, not quite the same but close enough for this) 15mpg for me is 12 .4 mpg for you hope that helps

Last edited:

Brian Thomas

I dont think a 550 will cary 5 ton. The single axle would not hold up.

Military trucks are rated for off road tonnage and will carry double its rated capacity on road. The New consumer trucks are not, like the F550 even a 4x4 model is only 6000 pound conventional load rated.
They are not the same and therefore can not be compaired. As far as size? A deuce is quite a bit bigger than a pick up truck.

Being payed by the mile means the slower you go and the more you stop, the less you get paid per hour. So I dont get how taking longer does not matter. Makes no sense?

As far as a Canadian gallon and a US gallon, two trucks exactly the same with the same tank, one in the US and one in Canada- No matter how you measure it they hold the same amount. Your gallon may be larger but costs more than a US gallon. So your truck is getting crappy mileage just like ours. Heck I could say my tank is one gallon and it will go 300 miles on a tank! Does'nt matter how you measure it, they like gas.

550 is rated as 13600 to14700 lb rear axle .19000 to 26000 gvw. and son once you learn to slow down a bit things always go better bid your job so you can make some money and not kill yourself at it..and what your truck is rated for on your licence is what you can legaly carry no matter how much you can overload it on your own place. once your stopped and have to drive on the little portable scales thats when it hurts the most lol

JasonS

I find it a little hard to believe that an M135 can achieve 14 mpg. I had a 302 powered 1/2 ton pickup with 3:08 gears and it got 19-20mpg at 55 mph. This is fairly typical based on conversations with other folks running similar engine/ rear gears. You have a lot more weight and frictional losses.

well i bought my deuce with 13000 miles on it now i have 33000. if you dont belive the milage i get i cant help that, but im betting that on this site not to many ppl have put in 20000 miles in a deuce.the other ones that have are probly to smart to bother replying to these threads anyway.

bobp4020

New M108 member

I have an M108 I bought about 10 years ago. It is a Studebaker 1953. I have had the carburetor apart a dozen times getting it to run. The engine has great torque for a gas. I am thinking of converting to multifuel or a Detroit 6V53 I found cheap surplus. Is the carburetor easily replaceable or fixable? Also the engine fouls plugs on a couple of cylinders. It is still 24 Volt with rebuilt starter.

The other problem is the hydraulic lines. Are the wierd fittings available anywhere. I have replaced most lines with cut and welded fittings. I love this truck when it works well but would like to make it more dependable.

jb31

my wife keeps asken why do u need that again, thats why i plow snow with it . wait till she sees what i bring home next and hide in the barn

JasonS

I have an M108 I bought about 10 years ago. It is a Studebaker 1953. I have had the carburetor apart a dozen times getting it to run. The engine has great torque for a gas. I am thinking of converting to multifuel or a Detroit 6V53 I found cheap surplus. Is the carburetor easily replaceable or fixable? Also the engine fouls plugs on a couple of cylinders. It is still 24 Volt with rebuilt starter.

The other problem is the hydraulic lines. Are the wierd fittings available anywhere. I have replaced most lines with cut and welded fittings. I love this truck when it works well but would like to make it more dependable.
I ran a 331 for several years. There are several things that you can do to make it better. Electronic ignition and civvy wires (better yet is a civvy disty). Modern holley economaster 2bbl (better hot starts and better driveability). 12V armature in the starter spins the engine a bit faster.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks