• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old 60amp Military Alternators out of junkyard

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on going back to Colemans soon, and he has a pile of old 60amp alternators, standard military 24v - 28v Leece-Neville type, for various trucks, various models, sitting in the back in a pile. They have been there for 10-20 years. Above scrap value, are they worth anything to anyone? I know they can be rebuilt, but is it worth it with the price of a new alternator running at $200 - $250 nowadays?

MilitaryRestoration

Very true indeed. Thats what I did but I haven't found anyone who needs/wants them yet. So let me know if you hear anything about people wanting them or yourself and good luck with the others if you decided to get them...

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I bought one at Aberdeen and took it to my favorite and very reliable generator rebuild shop. The bearings were almost out and the regulator on the back was blown. They called me and told me that the parts are no longer available for them to fix it and if they could have in the past the regulators alone cost almost $200 each. The Army is now on its fourth generation generator so these old girls are getting rare and hard to fix.

acetomatoco

CME Arma in Miami was buying cores... They will take your old one and give you a rebuilt for beaucoup $... ACE

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
acetomatoco said:
CME Arma in Miami was buying cores... They will take your old one and give you a rebuilt for beaucoup $... ACE
Negative - CME Arma, when I was having mine rebuilt by them, wouldn't give credit for Leece-Neville alternators anymore. Said they would only give credit for Delco Remy alternators of the newer variety.

builder77

In Memorial
In Memorial
What do each style of alternator look like? I was not able to find either manufacturers name on the extra alternators I have or the one on my M35. The extra are all of the type with cooling fine all over the rear of it. The one that is on my M35 does not have the fine on the rear, but has some openings in the middle with fins on the interior. I would take pics, but I still need to buy a new one.

DomUnique

I can try and post some pics of the 2 I have.

I just bought my first Deuce knowing the gen was bad but the guy had a new one he threw in with the sale. It has the same part number as the bad one, but looks physically different and it also has different style electrical connections.

I tried to transfer the fan plate thats behind the pulley over but it does not fit in the same way.

Can I just leave this off? or is thier a diff style I need?