• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old birds

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I agree with WM! I ain't rich though, and I am grateful to have the opportunity to even own the Raven Deuce!! P-51D is my favorite. What a gal! Thanks for the photos!! Long may they keep 'em flyin!! You're right Carl, those big radials have a sound all their own!! Man do they ROAR!
God bless,
Tony:-D

hurst01

Great shots! I was an aircraft machinist in the Air Force. I considered joining the Confederate Air Force and volunteer working on their planes. They try to let their members fly on the planes occasionally. Problem is that they are so far away and it would be difficult to take enough time to go to where the planes are based at and the time to do anything.
While stationed at Wright Patterson AFB, we had a banquet at the museum. They closed the museum and let use go through several of the planes. I got to sit in the stealth fighter and several of the old war birds. By far, the B-17 was and is my favorite large plane. I remember it being so small on the inside that you had to kind-of turn sideways to go through it. I was thinking to myself about it being so tight, then I realized that most of the crew members were averaging 19 years old.
My next favorite was the B-29. These old birds have a place in history that can never be duplicated. It has been several years back that I had an opportunity to volunteer to work an air show at Dayton, OH. Several of the original Tuskegee Airmen were there and I got to talk with some of them. What an Honor! They are still very bitter and I can fully understand how they feel.
One thing that I learned several years back. REAL PLANES HAVE PROPS!
Thanks for the post.

Ed

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks