• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Generator Identification

Empty Pockets

I need some help identifying an old generator. I think it is an old military unit, but not sure. I know it is a 15kw three phase generator with a diesel engine. I would like to know a possible model number, and manufacturer of this unit. Onan maybe? What engine is in it? Possibly a range of years? It appears to be older than any of the generators being auctioned off at GL. Does anyone know what gauge is missing? Can anyone recommend a parts source for this unit? Finally any opinions on what this unit might be worth? I'm told it will start even though it has been sitting for a few years but we all know how that works out. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

jbk

looks like mb series 60s vintage the motor is hercules dd198 earleir version of this engine design that stayed with the mep-004. motor parts shoudnt be hard to find, but everything else will be tough. theirs kind of a following over at smokestack for these. delks may have parts. dont know about worth maybe several hundred. i paid 700 for a 004 that cleaned up and worked.

Isaac-1

I agree, looks like one of the MB's to me, one of the regulars over on the SmokStak generator board worked on these in his earlier days in the Air Force. I have read the control systems on these are a real nightmare, way more complicated than they needed to be and were designed by the Air Force to use what was to them standard aircraft control parts, so insanely expensive and hard to get for anyone else. For the range of years the MB's were mid 1960's through late 1970's, you could narrow it down based on exact model and revision, I just have never looked at them that closely, almost considered buying one the local Forest Service had up for auction, but passed on it mostly because of the known control system issues.

Ike

Last edited:

Empty Pockets

I after doing some research I think it might be a MB-19. Were these used exclusively by the Air Force or did anyone else have access to them? Does anyone no what manuals this thing takes?
Where can engine parts be found for it? Already I have learned more in one day than the owner who has had this for years.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Google the NSN painted on the side 6115-00-606-9693 for lots of info and parts sources.

Empty Pockets

When I first saw the generator it reminded me of some of the WW2 gas generators with the jeep flat head 4 engine in them. Then I opened the access panel and saw the wiring schematic that says diesel then I realized this beast was different animal.

reddmpayne

Empty Pockets. Here's hoping you are still out there. I just bought an old MB19 nsn6115-00-689-4486 and it doesn't look like the one pictured. I am also looking for wiring information, did you have any luck? The TO attached to this gen set is 35C2-3-343. reddempayne

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks