• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old Military vehicle locomotion trials

RangerBob

Those land trains weren't built for the ALCAN, they were built to resupply the DEW line. I tried to get up close to the LCC-1 (1st photo), it was in a scrap yard out the back gate of Ft Wainwright, but the yard was sold and liquidated before I could track down an owner. Fortunately I just read that it was saved and now resides at a museum in Whitehorse. A land train trailer still lives in Tok, AK and another Letourneau land train is parked on private property just north of Fairbanks. The owner has a 'mog too.
The land train north of Fairbanks is still there as of last month, and it looks like the owner runs a little tourist gold panning operation on the property during the summer. I should have stopped to ask what his plans for it are, but work gives me little time for roadside chats. The trailer north of Tok is still there as of last week. AND...I am looking at the land train in front of the museum in Whitehorse right now! It looks great. Will get pictures tonight or tomorrow. They appear to be maintaining it well. Heck, it looks like it might even be able to move under its' own power.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a great update! I'm glad to hear about that place across from the pipeline viewing stop. I always assumed the owner is an enterprising sort of fellow. He also made an enormous ice tower during the winter a few years back. It was quite a sight. Seems like I recall the paper said it was around 90' tall. It was up on that ridge behind his house. Wish I had stopped for some photos.

When I drove through Tok and saw that trailer I saw an unusually high number of other former MVs for such a small area. I recall a few M37s, a deuce, and maybe a few others.

I look forward to the photos of the LCC in Whitehorse.

jasonjc

I seen some 8X8's that had 2 straight axles , instead of steer axles , in the front. They turned like a wagon in front. These were from the 50's.?. Any one know anything about them?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
YES but do not have my reference book at the moment, think it was built by Cook brothers, it had wagon steering.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
73m819 nailed it. Cook Brothers 8-ton chain-drive T20 was evaluated in the mid 40's. There were tractor and cargo truck variants. Looks like the Corbitt T20E1 and T20E4 also had platform (wagon) front steering. The Corbitt 8x8 shared nothing in common with the Cook Bros trucks. During the same timeframe there was also a 12 ton 8x8 T26 by Sterling that had front bogie platform steering. Reference US Military Wheeled Vehicles by Fred W. Crimson.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks