• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old MilSpec Paint

Farmun

Several years ago, probably in the mid-80's, my dad got a several gallons of MilSpec Olive Drab paint (actual Miltary paint). Back then, he painted most all of his old farm equipment with it, basically just painting over the rust. That stuff still has the paint on it, and doesn't look like much if any has come off.

Fast forward to today.... He gave me his last three gallons of this paint. Said we should use it on the Duece. We opened a can, to see what it was like. First glance, it was black, but after several minutes of stirring the thick goo in the bottom, it turned green. We dabbed some on one of the rear wheels, and after a few minutes, wa-la, olive drab green.

So, what do you guys think? Will this paint work? It's probably 40 years old. If I thin it before spraying the truck, it should be as good as what's on their now, ???

Pinz25086

Make sure that you mix it very well. Shake it on a paint shaker if you can. Then paint an old shovel head. When it is dry use the shovel to dig a hole. If it stays on the shovel, it might work on the truck. I have used this method to test paint before and it is a good indicator of how tough the finish will be. Good luck! Post pictures of how it turns out.

littlebob

Make sure that you mix it very well. Shake it on a paint shaker if you can. Then paint an old shovel head. When it is dry use the shovel to dig a hole. If it stays on the shovel, it might work on the truck. I have used this method to test paint before and it is a good indicator of how tough the finish will be. Good luck! Post pictures of how it turns out.
I like this idea of testing it first. It would be a PITA to remove it if its not good paint and wouldn't be worth the money you would pay for new, if you had to remove and do new. What kind of paint is it? Enamal usually takes about a month to fully cure, so keep that in mind with your testing.

rdixiemiller

I used some 25 year old alkyd enamel to camo a pickup, it was old milsurp paint, worked like a charm and wore like iron. Most of the old enamels will work fine if they were properly sealed up. I would use it to paint the frame, and undercarriage, and get new paint for the topside.

poppop

Hello RDM, I was just thinking about you today as i had not seen you here in quite a while. Glad you are still around.:-D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks