• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old NAVY 10 kw Genset?

Chainbreaker

Yeah, noticed the SAW 16" reference but wasn't sure if that referenced a mill saw or some odd reference to a "16" Squad Automatic Weapon" control system:unsure: lol.

Thanks, that confirms what it is and was used for. Though is a bit confusing seeing 1 phase and 3 phase notations on panel.

Last edited:

Chainbreaker

By stumbeled across do you mean you saw it somewhere or you bought it? I'm curious if it runs or the guages are just that far off. ;-)
Was cruising Craigslist & stumbled across it by searching using "10kw military generator". Asking price is $4k and not what I'm looking for. Regardless that's a pretty lofty price for a genset where parts are going to be hard to locate for a 54 yr old military genset.

I'm standardized on the MEP-002a for my compound needs and as far as my "spare parts stocking" on hand & knowledge of keeping them running. So was looking for a deal on a MEP-003a 10 kw as I will need more power when/if power goes out in summer to run my house AC. I usually cast a pretty wide net to include gensets where someone ends up with a Military Generator and doesn't really understand or know the model etc. and just know it's a military 10 kw generator...

Good eye on the gauges... I don't think it was running and the Hertz & Voltage meter gauges appear to be stuck in those positions. Also, judging by the exhaust its been wet stacked as seen from the black ooze that apparently dripped out of muffler and across the exhaust manifold.

Though if anyone is interested shoot me a PM & I'll let you know where its located. Hint... located West Coast-ish state that has legalized gambling among other things.

Chainbreaker

Also, its advertised as only 6 hrs on the Hobbs & does show that on the meter clearly in the CL ad and states that paint has not burned off exhaust manifold... :unsure: However, given the overall condition of the unit & trailer perhaps it had an engine replacement that only has 6 hrs on it or Hobbs meter failed & was replaced? Though with a genset that old I doubt anyone could vouch for its history.

2Pbfeet

@Chainbreaker A 16" radial arm saw is going to need a pretty substantial motor. I have seen a number of that size and vintage radial arm saws with five and ten HP motors on them, always three phase. That is scary powerful in my book.

There's an eBay listing for an ex-military 16" saw, but I can't read the motor HP...

I wonder if the 120/208 confusion might be that 208 three phase gives the operator the option of three sets of 120V hot to neutral sources of power.

And, yes $4k seems wildly out for the generator, but perhaps it comes with the saw, too?

Interesting find- thanks for sharing it.

All the best,

Pbfeet

Chainbreaker

Here is the trailer its mounted on. If it was originally mounted on this trailer, paint & patina seem to match genset age etc., perhaps the 16" Radial Saw was positioned aft of the genset and sat on trailer. The two rearward facing work lights would seem to support that type of configuration.

Also, a shot of the old Hobbs meter.

Anyway, an interesting genset that I had never seen before.

IMG_4218.jpgIMG_4217.jpg

Last edited:

NY Tom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
According to the breaker configuration and plug numbering there's an 8th 15A 120 outlet somewhere as well the "SAW" connection I assume ( Two 3 phase breakers at the top )
But for $4000 I think I'll pass....
Maybe the 8th circuit is for the receptacles on the front of the unit?

2Pbfeet

If you want to see these sort of saws (not on a generator) look like from WWII, DeWalt has an old promotional video;

I caneasily imagine SeaBees setting up a similar, though perhaps smaller operation with it.

All the best,

2Pbfeet

Chainbreaker

Thats a very cool video! Love those old video's that capture that era. I could imagine that type of saw sitting on the back end of that trailer. Mobil saw moved to various jobsites as required.

BTW, "Ft Lewis" that was mentioned early in video is just up the road in Washington state.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks