• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old photos of 5 ton trucks - M813, M923

Paweł

Hello!
Looong time ago - in 2001 I’ve been studying in Kaiserslautern, Germany and as a modeller from Poland I was fascinated by the presence of US troops and equipment literally everywhere around town. Back then I took some photos, I’m posting some of them and if anybody has some use for them or just like to take a look, please let me know and I’ll scan and post more.
Here are some photos from a boneyard in Enkenbach. You could actually see the then already closed runway in Sembach AFB:
Nice MERDC on an M813:

This one is an M814 Long wheelbase truck:

This is a dump truck cab interior:

This one is from a company in Kaiserslautern repairing active US Army trucks:

So please let me know what do you think? Wanna see some more? Thanks for looking and have a nice day
Paweł

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello!
Looong time ago - in 2001 I’ve been studying in Kaiserslautern, Germany and as a modeller from Poland I was fascinated by the presence of US troops and equipment literally everywhere around town. Back then I took some photos, I’m posting some of them and if anybody has some use for them or just like to take a look, please let me know and I’ll scan and post more.
Here are some photos from a boneyard in Enkenbach. You could actually see the then already closed runway in Sembach AFB:
Nice MERDC on an M813:

This one is an M814 Long wheelbase truck:

This is a dump truck cab interior:

This one is from a company in Kaiserslautern repairing active US Army trucks:

So please let me know what do you think? Wanna see some more? Thanks for looking and have a nice day
Paweł
Wow! Yes!!
It would be great to see what else you "shot".

Guyfang

Staff member
I used to live near where this stuff was stored, or lets say where some of its stored. It is literally stored all over town. Over towards the old French Kasserne, was a huge lot. Everything stored outside in the elements. Then towards the north of town, another huge lot. By huge, I mean you could not walk the whole place in an 8 hour day. Then on R.O.B., Rhine Ordnance Barracks where I worked a while was the Cannibalization Point and another huge storage lot. Speaking some German and wearing BDU's got me access to these places and it was heart breaking.

Paweł

Hello! Thanks a lot for your comments! I'm glad you like'em and I’ll gladly post some more:

@Guyfang - since you mentioned Rhine Ordnance Barracks (near the Opel factory) - these were there:

They also had an M578 cherry picker on display, but they would't let me in to photograph it up close... A few months later this shot wouldn't be posssible, after 9/11 they put anti sniper curtains on the fence...

Enkenbach - trucks stored doggy style…

For Gino:

Victim of the plague - traffic accidents:

Nice frame shot:

Wrecker - lots of MERDEC in the background:

@NDT - do you mean those red/yellow squares above? Many camouflaged trucks also have orange flashing beacons mounted on them. They were really afraid of the visibility of those babies reduced by the camouflage.

And I have more if you want them!

Thanks for looking and have a nice day

Paweł

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Hello! Thanks a lot for your comments! I'm glad you like'em and I’ll gladly post some more:

@Guyfang - since you mentioned Rhine Ordnance Barracks (near the Opel factory) - these were there:

They also had an M578 cherry picker on display, but they would't let me in to photograph it up close... A few months later this shot wouldn't be posssible, after 9/11 they put anti sniper curtains on the fence...

Enkenbach - trucks stored doggy style…

For Gino:

Victim of the plague - traffic accidents:

Nice frame shot:

Wrecker - lots of MERDEC in the background:

@NDT - do you mean those red/yellow squares above? Many camouflaged trucks also have orange flashing beacons mounted on them. They were really afraid of the visibility of those babies reduced by the camouflage.

And I have more if you want them!

Thanks for looking and have a nice day

Paweł
Yes Sir! More pix please...

Guyfang

Staff member
I worked on ROB a year, or a bit longer. Then went down the Autobahn a few kilometers to Meisau Army Depot, and worked there about 7 years. Was that picture taken at the first Motor pool after driving under the Autobahn at ROB? Or before you go to under the Autobahn?

Paweł

Thanks a lot for your comments! Tomorrow I'll try to post more!

@Guyfang - of course it's hard to tell exactly after all these years, but I tried to illustrate the shot on the map below:
1716412461678.png

I rememeber standing on the Von Miller Strasse while shooting the photo, I was biking along that street many times on my way to Rammstein AFB!

Paweł

Hello everybody!
OK, here are some more:

For starters some nice MERDEC Vans:

A trailer and lots of tanker bodies:

The next photos are from Eselsfürth - there was this scrapyard where the Dutchman lived who also owned the plot in Enkenbach. When I first visited him in Eselsfürth (not far from the Quartermaster Facility) he had visitors from Belgium, who bought some of his Deuces, they told me they wanted them for some museum in Belgium. Looking at the tan one I believe they were stored shortly after Desert Storm (1992? 93?) and after all the years standing there they were still good enough in 2001 to be started and go to Belgium under their own power.

But I have to tell you those guys really knew what they were doing. They selected the best truck, started it and then used it to tow-start the other ones. the one below has a sling for towing attached. And I can still remember the beautiful sound the turbochargers made after starting!

And these babies were in Sembach, on the grounds of former AFB:

I hope you like them - thanks for looking and have a nice day

Paweł

Paweł

Hello!
Thanks a lot for your comments!
I don't know about now, but back then in 2001 Kaiserslautern was as close to an American town as possible under German government - you could see Amreican Police cruisers on the streets (crewed by MPs in BDUs), there were American housing districts, on my way to Rammstein I even found an American video rental store. It's kinda logical for the Legion to be there, too! I've also seen a laundry advertising cleaning BDUs!

These were the days!

Have a nice day

Paweł