• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

old radios used in jeeps, which ones from 50's to 60's maybe?

OPCOM

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend has asked:

I've been trying for several years to figure out which radios were used on the jeeps at Fort Gordon, GA during my MP training there in 1971.

The radios I remember had dynamotors, and I think they had a carbon mic. Some jeeps were also equipped with a separate receiver. They had a tuning range that included one of the ham bands, because I remember calling "CQ" on one of them during a break - no answer, of course, but I do recall making the call!

I don't remember what kind of squelch that they had, but I don't remember a "Squelch" adjustment, so it may have been tone-operated.

Can anyone help? I know how radios work, but not whtat was used where. Keep in mind this was a MP training scene, and the commo gear might have been quite old as the new stuff would have been out front. Certainly old to have dynamotors in 1971. I'd like to help this old vet remember, he is a ham and I think he might want to procure the same kind of radio and I will help him, but I need some leads.

Have ruled out the RT246, RT524, PRC-25/77, RT-66/67/68 series (vibrator supplies, right?) It could not have been an old T-195, could it? That is a darn big HF radio for a jeep, like putting a gRC106 in one.

Thanks!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Could it have been a GRC-9 with one of its dynamotor supplies (DY-88 or DY-105, IIRC)?

I think there may have been Jeep installations of the GRC-19 (T-195 + R-392), possibly placed on a shelf at the rear in place of the rear seats. There was a GRC-106 installation in Jeeps; I have an installation manual for that configuration.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were a bunch of jeeps in WWII that were outfitted with Wireless Set No. 19s, especially in the European Theater. They had a dynamotor, but were LONG obsolete by the time of the Vietnam War.

Here's a website with some vehicle based radio systems used in US from the 40s to the 1970s. Look it over, and let us know what you think it was....

New Page 1

Wile E. Coyote

They had something called the AN/VRC-19 back then - pictures here:

http://www.icdc.com/~oldradio/web/vehicle/vrc19.jpg

I seem to recall they were made by Motorola, and Fair Radio Sales in Lima, OH used to sell them quite reasonably. Despite being military they operated in VHF high band (i.e. commercial/police etc. 144 - 174 mHz or thereabouts) and I think they were 30 watt-ish but haven't looked it up.

(Yup - just checked - Fair Radio has the works for $175)

Last edited:

Wile E. Coyote

Also, a bunch were modified for ArmyMARS operation that came up surplus years back. I believe I have one such receiver buried in the warehouse somewhere.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The AN/GRC-19

The AN/GRC-19 was indeed installed in M-38's and M-38A1's as well as the M-151. I know, I operated them. I still remember keying the mike and the jeep would really slow down because of the 100 amp alternator load. The belts would sometimes screech also.

The set was mounted across the entire rear of the jeeps. The older '19 sets had dynamotors. There are pictures of me in my radio jeep posted on this site unless they expired.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks