• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

old school digital camo

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I always thought that was a kool camo but there does not seem to be very many pictures of it floating around these days. I have a M880 I would like to do it to if I could find some good side views. Ah yes, the early 80's If I remember right, us tankers were wearing black berets then also.

Last edited:

B3.3T

The British Army used a similar digital pattern in urban colors on their Berlin Brigade armour back in the 70's-80's

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
The U.S. Army developed digital camouflage in the 1970s. Lieutenant Colonel Timothy R. O'Neill, a West Point professor of engineering psychology, had first noted the "digital camouflage effect." It was never adopted for use in uniforms, but was used for a camouflage pattern on armored vehicles of the U.S. Army 2nd Armored Cavalry Regiment in Europe from 1978 to the early 1980s. Why hadn't the army adopted it for uniforms back in the 1970s? It seems that the key army people (uniformed and civilian) deciding such things in the 1970s could not grasp the concept of how digital camouflage worked on the human brain, and were not swayed by field tests. Strange, but true, and it's happened before. In 2003, the U.S. Army decided to use digital camouflage patterns for their new field uniforms. A few years after that, China expressed an interest in the concept, for their new field uniforms You can see pictures and how it is done. Click here:
http://techconex.com/tcblog/2008/04/05/cold-war-pixel-camouflage/

Last edited:

BG6

The U.S. Army developed digital camouflage in the 1970s. Lieutenant Colonel Timothy R. O'Neill, a West Point professor of engineering psychology, had first noted the "digital camouflage effect."
I read his article in one of the trade magazines on what he called "Duo-Tex," and regret losing my photocopy of the article. It was an excellent basic primer on camouflage and made his case very well.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Night Desert camo was a sort of digital camo also. But that was made to "blend in" with the USSR's night vision devices at the time.

bigflew

so a coustomer of mine walks into my garage sees my 1009 in primer and asks me if Im going to paint it army green or a PRETTY color (yea he said pertty) I just smiled and said beauty is in the eye of the beholder. so after a lot of time,carc,tape and money this is what I ended up with. Except the motor pict. that is my drag car.but it makes you think what if???

Attachments

Great paint scheme, nice job, awesome results! That look plays with your eyes ... bluuurs the vision. How long did it take you to paint it? Masking must have been tedious.

BG6

The original idea was for the pattern to break up the outline when viewed through a tank commander's periscope. It would be interesting to see this in a long telephoto shot, out against wildlands.

bigflew

After finishing it im shure one reason the army did not on a larger scale is it is WAY to time consuming.
now I need another project Duce or gama goat

saddamsnightmare

September 27th, 2009.

Since I have not had the chance to look for the Lt.Col.'s original article on digital camoflage and since it does seem de rigeur these days, could one of you gentlemen explain to a historian like me, what the logic behind it is, as in nature there are few right angles on anything? I am more familiar with od green with black markings (USMC late Vietnam to 1980's) and of course Solid 686A tan with black markings for Desert Storm (which is what Saddam's Nightmare" still carries (1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W from Desert Storm), and I can concieve the MERDC 4 color and 3 color Woodland camo.....BUT??????

The World Wants to Know.:-D

Cheers,

Kyle F. McGrogan

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks