• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Older axles. on your deuce.

Mackafd

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I changed the gear oil on my truck today while I was trying to fix the drips. well low and behold the middle axle was pressurized. air came out of the fill plug when I removed it. so I went looking for vents and could not find any. I wire brushed all three axles and could not find any. I cleaned and washed and nope not even a boss, plug, or mark where they should be. did the older 1952 series trucks not have vents? the axles have tags Timkin Detroit. front axle is a M163797..

rustystud

I changed the gear oil on my truck today while I was trying to fix the drips. well low and behold the middle axle was pressurized. air came out of the fill plug when I removed it. so I went looking for vents and could not find any. I wire brushed all three axles and could not find any. I cleaned and washed and nope not even a boss, plug, or mark where they should be. did the older 1952 series trucks not have vents? the axles have tags Timkin Detroit. front axle is a M163797..
No, they all have vents. What has probably happened is the vent got broken off and crud filled up the hole. The vents are usually around the "pumpkin" area on the main housing. It can also have a vent in the pumpkin itself.

fsearls92

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not all of them have axle vents. I had an older M35a2 made by REO (1954) and it did not have axle vents either. This was the only truck I had ever seen without the vents. I had wondered the same about allowing pressure out but I ended up selling the truck.

tommys2patrick

So--are you thinking you will add vents or keep it original? Can you add pics please so we can see what the axles look like? Did you pull the wheels and drums to see what shape the seals were in?

rustystud

Not all of them have axle vents. I had an older M35a2 made by REO (1954) and it did not have axle vents either. This was the only truck I had ever seen without the vents. I had wondered the same about allowing pressure out but I ended up selling the truck.
All differentials and transmissions and transfer-cases have vents. If they didn't then seals would be popping out all over the place ! I once worked on a TH180 that kept blowing out the front seal. Literally pushing out the front seal ! There was a factory recall on the problem which involved drilling some holes for vent and pressure relief.