• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Older MV trailer.... and hooking LMTV (M105a2 for example)

coachgeo

Pretty sure these older MV trailers are 24v lighting. Along with Air over Hydraulic. Tried hooking one to my Unimog glad hand Long ago and all it do was lock up the brakes on it.

How well do they mate up the FMTV line of trucks? Lunet right size?
The military trailer plug match or would one need to swap to 12v bulbs orr?

Considering one for general hauling duties... especially since they do not sit as high so easier to load... unload.. and prices usually right. Besides by end of summer my Ambo box will be on the 1078 so no bed on it anyway

Any thoughts/suggestions?

if get one//Might swap LMTV bed onto it later; if it is even practical... not high on priority list though.

Last edited:

tobyS

First, I don't have a FMTV....I have a 5 ton and deuce.

Make your LMTV bed into a trailer.

I don't think the M105 frame would work very well for that though. Below is picture of M105 axle with bolster wheels. To use with LMTV bed I may widen it 6" so the springs line up with the frame (that will go) on the trailer.

You may have hooked the emergency glad hand to the brake instead of the service line. It has air all the time, so would apply brakes.

The M105 lunette ring should work fine.

Attachments

tobyS

Or just buy an M1061.....great trailers and low. May require some adjustment on the lunette (mine will probably get about a 3' tongue extension).

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It will plug into the 24v trailer connection on the lmtv and you can control the air to hyd braking by connecting the two air connections to the back of your truck. You may have an issue when turning. Some trailers can hit the truck in a tight turn. There is a pintle extension kit for the lmtv that fixes the issue.

Duckworthe

Here is a trailer that was at the Expo that I am going to copy. The pictures show the idea. This trailer was being pulled by an 1078 with a Blissmobile camper. The tongue was extended using 2x2x 1/8 inch stacked and welded together every foot or so. I didn't measure the length of the tongue as it would be different requirement for each rig.

IMG_0324.jpgIMG_0325.jpg

coachgeo

Here is a trailer that was at the Expo that I am going to copy. The pictures show the idea. This trailer was being pulled by an 1078 with a Blissmobile camper. The tongue was extended.... [pic x 2] ..
was hitch on truck is same place... but the Bliss box extending beyond chassis... thus requiring longer tongue to reach under box to the hitch?

Duckworthe

coachgeo,
The Blissmobile box is only 12 foot long and fits with no over hang. So the reason that his trailer tongue is extended is because of the motorcycle rack and spare tire carrier that is mounted to the rear. It is a rack that lowers to the ground using a winch. The winch is attached to the carrier system and it lowers the whole system to the ground, unlike mine, that lowers just the bike. I didn't get pics of the rack system, sorry. I can tell you that everyone who owns these trucks wishes the spare tire wasn't mounted so high on the rear of the truck. They, (designers), put them up there they said for theft reasons. The owners say they feel the weight up high like that and don't like it. Hope this helps.
Eric
IMG_0320.jpgIMG_0319.jpgIMG_0322.jpgIMG_0321.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks