• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Olds engine in CUCV?

fal_shooter

I am having some work done on my CUCV and they said I have an Olds engine in my Chevy. Does that sound right to you? I got it directly from the military so I know it's all original. Any difference in the engines or were they blowing more smoke than my truck?

flighht2k5

Banned
Didn't Detroit make the engine? Not gm? Gm made a diesel made from I think an olds or Buick engine in the early 80s. But that was 5.7 liters.

Jeremiah_Johnson

That is a command misconception, Oldsmobile used 350ci 5.7 L chevrolet blocks in some of there cars they were considered Junk by almost ever one who drove one . Your CUCV if stock will have the J code Non emissions 6.2 L Detroit diesel . A big difference between the two engines. As ( Dstang97 ) said you might should go get your truck!!!

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.2 diesel has nothing at all to do with the earlier 5.7 diesel which was derived from an Oldsmobile 350. I would not want anyone that thought the CUCV 6.2 motor was an Olds engine near it.

Gun Goober

All of you are some what coprrect. Detroit Diesel is, or was, was a subsidiary of GM until about 2002 when GM started buying diesel engines from Isuzu.

In the late 70's and early 80's GM repurposed several gas engines to diesel including Olds, Pontiac, Buick, and Chevrolet. I would think that any one of those engines could be found in military vehicles of that period.

jaymcb

I can speak from personal experience that the olds 5.7 diesel was gawdawful., at least in the olds cutlass I owned.

I don't think someone who can't see the difference between the 5.7 and 6.2 should be doing much to your truck beyond setting tire pressures.

IdahoPlowboy

As has been already said get your truck far away from that shop and mechanic. The 5.7 was installed in pickups in the very early 80s and if this shops mech doesnt know the difference then he will mess it up.

dstang97

All of you are some what coprrect. Detroit Diesel is, or was, was a subsidiary of GM until about 2002 when GM started buying diesel engines from Isuzu.

In the late 70's and early 80's GM repurposed several gas engines to diesel including Olds, Pontiac, Buick, and Chevrolet. I would think that any one of those engines could be found in military vehicles of that period.
Nope and your dates are off.

ajsmith184

:???: Ive only had my m1009 for 3 weeks and already Ive gotten in 3 debates with people that the 6.2 isnt a gas engine converted to diesel. I think I might print the info out and just keep it in my glovebox just so I dont get angry haha :deadhorse:

spicergear

Lol. Turn around and get your truck back.
Seriously, do this. :ditto::ditto::ditto::ditto:

Find a shop that not speculating, guessing, or diesel jaded already...oh, and most importantly: that know what they're talking about. Wanna know for sure- look at the bellhousing pattern. You'd either have an adapter plate, or the BOP TH400.

Barrman

It might be worth your time to buy this "book":

The Diesel Page, 6.2L Diesel Volume I

I say book, but it is really just a compilation of post/ tech articles from that web site. Very, very informative and accurate post, but it isn't really a book. I have bought both the 6.2 books and feel it was money well spent.

As written above, get your truck away from those people. Probably be a good idea to download the free manuals from this site and do the work yourself.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 6.2 is a GM engine no doubt. Detroit did the design work on it. t was introduced in the truck line in 1982 and that series of diesels was the only one used in GM light duty trucks until the Duramax came out. Nothng gas about it at all. As far as the Olds based engines, they were not "converted" gassers. The block was cast as a diesel from the onset. They dd share virtually every dmension from the gas engines at that time and shared some interchangability. I wouldn't wan't anyone fooling with my stuff that wasn't somehwat familiar with what it was. They might want to change sparkplugs on it.

As far as the Olds based engines, they were not "converted" gassers. The block was cast as a diesel from the onset. They dd share virtually every dmension from the gas engines at that time and shared some interchangability.
Yeah, they basically used the general small block B.O.P. design, used higher nickle content casting, and added extra block strength, stronger rotating assembly, and different heads. You can convert the 350 diesels back to a really strong gas 350.

As for the shop/mechanic... I'd high tail it out of there, and never go back.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LF9 was a 350 cu in (5,737 cc) diesel V8 produced from 1978-1985.

11Echo

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GM and Isuzu has had a very long working relationship as GM has held much of their stock over the years. I recall when GM hired their engineers to help design the Duramax line. The motor is built in Moraine, Ohio, near Dayton. GM owns 60% of the 6.6 litre Duramax venture. It never was an Isuzu engine, GM used their engineers to help design it.

Duramax engine assembled in Moraine

wayne pick

Ah No, Detroit Diesel was not a subsidiary of GM. Detroit Diesel, Allison, Terex EMD, Delco, Munce, Rochester, Fridgedare were divisions of GMC. If anything, Isuzu could be considerd a subsidiary of GMC as they jointy produced light and medium duty trucks since the late 70s. The Chevy luv was an Isuzu pup that was later developed by GM into the S series trucks. The history of DD goes back to the days of WWII as GM was contracted by the US GOV to produce a high performance two cycle marine engine for various types of landing craft. I do not know of any repurposed gas engines other than the 4 bolt 350 conversion and highly doubt the military would use this engine as it was unproven and ultimetly a failure.

ODdave

As said there was NOT a revamped gas engine. The 5.7 diesel shared manny of the same dimentions as the 350 OLDS (NOT CHEVY). The 5.7 diesel used a much thicker casting block, (DX is cast into the sides) with big block sized mains (3in not 2.5 like the gasser) Much larger rods and 1in wrist pins. About the only thing it is good for though is making a pretty neet large ci small block. I used the rods and pistons out of one to biuld a high comp 350 gasser, Worked well and was cheap.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks