• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On Board Air Hose Reel...Done

bottleworks

Re: RE: On Board Air Hose Reel...Done

rizzo said:
cool
now all you have to add is another air tank with bigger lines comeing from the main tanks and going to the reel

Yea, all in good time. A buddy of mine said he had an air tank that should tuck under the bed. Just need to get around to finding it in his barn and install it.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice. Mike, Matt has one on the back of the Mack wrecker. Never thought of adapting it to the deuce. I still carry the 7 gallon air pig with the 1/2"hose to run the big gun.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey BW, I've got an idea for you. On the back of the bed where the trailer plug is, make another hole of similar size and shape and fab up one of the little fairleads like the one attached to the reel. Oh, this is going to get creative now.

yorkgulch2

maker/source of reel?

Great use of the dead space and looks great! Is that just a gas station reel or is it made to put on a vehicle? Do you know who makes them? I have seen something like it in northern tool.
Craig

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: maker/source of reel?

I love the idea. I've also got a spare hose reel and was thinking about what to do with it. I'll keep my eye this thread to find out what tank size I'll need.

FSBruva

Kenny-

How much of that plate where the trailer plug is mounted do you think you could get away with cutting out? I mean, if you stay between the vertical supports, that's a 37" wide, 8" deep, 144" long storage area in there!!

Matt

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

Good mod! I have a 40 gallon tank and a hose reel off a service truck. I was going to put it on my Mog, but never got around to it. I may mount it on a skid so I can pull it in and out of the 5 ton. My dad has a surplus gas engine powered compressor that would go nicely with it so I don't have to tap the truck air system. I'd hate to have a problem and screw up my air brakes ;)

rdixiemiller

I want to build a box to mount under the bed to carry my towbar and assorted goodies around in. Make a door that closes down with a battery box latch and it will look military.
The air hose reel is a great idea!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter

Matt, you can open up that whole area. A large tray on tracks is something I always wanted to do but I have no cargo trucks. There is no reason you couldn't build a tray to hold towbars, chains, some 4x4s for cribing, big shovels and rakes and the like. The USMC M813s with the ISO bed had a door there to store the bedsides.

rmgill

How did you attach it to the frame rails? Any worries of road dirt mucking up the reel's auto retract function?

bottleworks

Recovry4x4 said:
Hey BW, I've got an idea for you. On the back of the bed where the trailer plug is, make another hole of similar size and shape and fab up one of the little fairleads like the one attached to the reel. Oh, this is going to get creative now.
Ohh, I like that idea.

How did you attach it to the frame rails? Any worries of road dirt mucking up the reel's auto retract function?
It's attached to the frame rail with tube welded to the base of the reel. 3/8" grade 8 bolts hold it all together. I can hang on the reel, so it should hold up fine to road vibes. Originally, I wanted to weld up a box to the reel, but I didn't have the extra steel. ...And I didn't want to spend any money on steel.

I don't thing there should be issues with mud. I don't take the deuce off road anymore and the area where the reel is was pretty clean.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Any worries of road dirt mucking up the reel's auto retract function?
That is one neat trick. 8)
It's like a Maxi-pad. Not the worlds greatest invention, but right up there next to it.
I'd give it a nine. [thumbzup]
It looks like there might be room to put a thin metal shield over the reel to keep crap off of it. Even on city streets you can run through a lot of crud.
That is the great thing about this site. All of the creativity and inginuity.

FreightTrain

Banned
wreckerman893 said:
Any worries of road dirt mucking up the reel's auto retract function?
That is one neat trick. 8)
It's like a Maxi-pad. Not the worlds greatest invention, but right up there next to it.
I'd give it a nine. [thumbzup]
It looks like there might be room to put a thin metal shield over the reel to keep crap off of it. Even on city streets you can run through a lot of crud.
That is the great thing about this site. All of the creativity and inginuity.

Yea,would hate to get a Honda or Toyota stuck in the ratcheting mechanism......those things are hard to clean up.....took me for ever to wash that last little Civic off my bumper...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks