• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ON BOARD AIR?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so what are you using as an on board air system? 12V or 24V would not matter to me, I actually have some belt driven pumps but I think there are enough belted items tied up to the water pump already.
I would like something with a reservoir and a pressure switch, I see these online running from around seventy five dollars to literally thousands of dollars.
I am assuming anything under a grand (the 5-600 dollar ARP dual compressor for example) are all made in china)
I always thought if someone would take a chainsaw motor and put a dependable compressor on it so a guy could hand carry it around on the ranch, etc. they would sell real well...
So what say you?

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I found one of these for sale and bought it. I dismantled the unit for the compressors. I mounted the compressors and plumbed them into a tank. It works great.

Compressor Module 24 Volt GROUND EXPEDIENT REFUELING SYSTEM
PART NO. 007-017
MANUFACTURER EXTREME OUTBACK PRODUCTS

Crapgame

The SOCOM GMVs have a few different on board air set ups. Some GMVs have a separate Hummer H1-style air compressor shelf bolted to the front, driver's side cowl. Others move the windshield washer reservoir inboard to make room on the cowl for the Thomas 24v TA-4101-DC air compressor in the system for the CTIS HMMWV. A twin-cylinder 24v air compressor has also been seen bolted to the rear footwell behind the driver's seat.

Attachments

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The SOCOM GMVs have a few different on board air set ups. Some GMVs have a separate Hummer H1-style air compressor shelf bolted to the front, driver's side cowl. Others move the windshield washer reservoir inboard to make room on the cowl for the Thomas 24v TA-4101-DC air compressor in the system for the CTIS HMMWV. A twin-cylinder 24v air compressor has also been seen bolted to the rear footwell behind the driver's seat.
Those Thomas compressors are the ones I was seeing for over a grand, unlike most M998 owners I am not rich! LOL

Crapgame

There is a near identical Thomas DC air compressor in 12v for under $500 each, if you have the dual voltage generator, but you will only be able to run air when the engine is running, or wire it direct to one battery for offline use.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
How much air do you need? If you go to the "IH8MUD.com forum and ask, there are guys there who will show you how to re-purpose and use an A/C compressor to air up tires. Those guys do it all the time, and use them on trails to air up after airing down.

Seems like a cheaper solution for those of us who don't lead caviar lifestyles.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just need enough to air up tires, already have an AC compressor planned so there is really no room for a belt driven pump, too bad as I said I already have several belt driven compressors laying around here.
I would like something more dependable than the "harbor Freight" class Chinese units.

Crapgame

There is another Thomas compressor nearly identical to the above 24v but in 12v, which are under $500 new, if you have the dual voltage alternator you can power it but only use the air when the engine is running, or wire it direct to the single battery.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK so now I need an idea for front and rear air quick connects, the standard shop air fittings would rust (the balls) and get junk in them, I have some glad hands with valves and covers, they work great but are a little clumsy..
So any unique, reasonable cost ideas?

Last edited:

Barrman

I did a York compressor based OBA system with M35 air tanks on my M715 14 years ago. I used semi truck air brake lines to plumb quick connect fittings to both bumpers. Cutting off a male fitting and welding on a 1” round plate made a great plug to keep out crud. It worked great! Until it didn’t.

1 foot of copper line as an insulator for the plastic hose wasn’t enough when airing up the 11.00-16 tires from 10 psi to 50 psi after a weekend on the trails. 3 tires got aired up but not the 4th. The hose melted off. Over the next few years the copper grew to all the way under the bed for a direct connection to the tanks.

Then a compressor clutch failed way up in the mountains with a flat. I now have a CO2 tank from a local welding supply store, an eBay 150 psi regulator and about 10 feet of the yellow coiled air hose. I use it in all my vehicles, it always works, extremely portable and even great for sports car autocrossing events.

The electric powered compressor operated ones sound pretty neat but pricey as pointed out already. But think about non MV dependent operations before you throw the money is my suggestion.

Curtisje

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little oil on standard air hose quick disconnects keeps them serviceable just like everything else that requires a squirt of oil from time to time.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
After reading your post and PM'ing you I also bought one of those units.

I think I will just go with standard hoses and nipples and replace when WD-40 no longer works. I will add a pressure guage to make sure I don't over-inflate, but otherwise K.I.S.S.

REF

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I gave up on compressors years ago in favor of the co2 tank.
IMO the only way to go if running large tires, You can build it yourself or go to a company like Powertank.com and buy one. Keep in mind that your regulator will get icy when airing up large tires or running an impact wrench so the regulator you chose must be able to deal with the low temps.

TOBASH

Steel Soldiers Supporter
REF, just to play "Devil's Advocate":

CO2 saves weight and is great until it gets empty or leaks and stops being great. You can't recharge it yourself at home. You need to constantly worry if it loses charge. You need to carefully secure it, because if it falls and hits the regulator valve, look out!

I prefer an air compressor when I'm out and about.

I also bought the same compressor Mogman bought and plan on installing for use when I'm "off the grid."

A bike racer who is on a time trial needs CO2. A rally racer or Baja racer might benefit from CO2. CO2 is light and fast BUT has limits.

As long as I have 24 Volts I will be able to operate tools and air tires up.

I respect your point REF, but for the reliability, compressors just can't be beat (IMHO).

Augi

Here's my setup:

I replace the Chinese pressure switch every two or three years and always carry a spare. I can also bypass it in an emergency. Otherwise it's been a rock solid system and saved me a couple of times when I cut up my tires on rocks and a couple were leaking about 10psi every 30 minutes. I had to stop and air up a lot to get home from that one.

Augi

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I made an inquiry to Extreme Outback about these compressors, they confirmed the specs and gave us guidance on installation and operation, the "tips and instructions" are very important whether running a tank system with a pressure switch or just a hose for inflating tires..
These are some great folks!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Day #####
The compressors used on that military project is based on our 24 volt ExtremeAire High Output units, p/n 007-120 https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/extremeaire-high-output-24-volt-compressor/

The compressors are the same in performance, we've done some updates to the head and the air filter system is different although we still sell the Uni Filter foam system to specific markets. The air intake doesn't affect performance on such a small compressor, it is just what was in the military specs for the project because that is what was popular 15 years ago.

A single 24 volt ExtremeAire High Output is going to be slightly faster than the Thomas compressor that came equipped in CTIS trucks. A very trick set up would be mounting two of the units for very fast inflation times, running air tools, etc.

I would highly recommend to review these instructions to understand the cable size, amp draw, relays needed, etc you will need when installing on a Hummer. If the truck was equipped with CTIS, you can essentially use the hot wire of the original compressor to trigger the relay. If it is a non CTIS truck, then you can follow our directions and tie it into the CTIS manifold or just use it like a normal compressor where you manually fill tires, etc.
https://www.extremeoutback.com/tips-and-instructions/

The key thing to add to each compressor is our high temperature check valve installed directly into the output port of the head. This stops any back flow from the system when the truck is parked for extended periods:
https://www.extremeoutback.com/product/high-temperature-check-valve/

The ExtremeAire High Outputs can put out 200 psi if required...but you get diminishing returns when you start to get over 150 psi. Keep the pressures below 125 psi for maximum piston and cylinder life.

Regards,

George Carousos
EXTREME OUTBACK PRODUCTS
www.extremeoutback.com
866-447-7711 Toll Free
707-447-7711 Direct
707-447-7722 Fax

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks