• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On my way to pick up my first CUCV

Boxdoc1960

I just wanted to thank everybody here at Steel Soldiers for their help. I bought my first CUCV back in December from GL and the information and suggestions have been invaluable.

I'm leaving tomorrow morning for the 400 mile trip to pick her up. I hope things go well and I'll post details of my adventure when I get back.

I never knew going GREEN could be so easy.:-D

cam7002

Where are you going to pick it up?

Just as a bit of advice -- did GL say it starts and runs or it starts and runs with a jump? If the former, ok, no worries. If the latter, you may want to take two appropriately sized batteries with you so you can put them in, and you're not relegated to shopping around for them once you arrive. Either way, I think most places will allow you to return batteries. If so, you can get a pair, take them with you just in case, then return if you don't need them.

Another thing is to try to take a key with you. I bet there are other people en route who can provide you a copy of the key. Otherwise, be nice to the guy at the yard, ask to borrow a key, and then go get a copy. All CUCV keys are supposed to be the same. Note that, whereas GM has square keys and round keys on civvy vehicles, the CUCV uses only the round key for both door and ignition.

If you have no experience driving military vehicles, note that on your CUCV there are two toggle switches on the left side of the dashboard. You have to put the switch into the full service lights mode. Pull the toggle out and flip it up so you can use your horn, turn signals, headlights, brake lights, etc. If you don't flip on the service light toggle, these will not work. It's a tactical preventive device so you don't inadvertently light up the battlefield.

Finally, you may want to go ahead and order a couple of the valves that were for sale at cost here a few weeks ago. You probably won't need them right away, but it's a good thing to have, especially at the price offered.

That's my two cents. Good luck and have fun!

Boxdoc1960

I have a key and two batteries from my boat. I'm also taking tools, torch, jack, tow bar, oil, chains, new fuel filter, diesel fuel ....... you get the idea. One way or the other it's coming home.

Thanks for the advice.:wink:

P.S. It's in Maryland.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks