• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the fence about a cucv

oldolds442

Let me start off by saying that I really want a M1008. I really don't need one as I hardly ever use 4wd on my Ford ranger. I was an auto mechanic for 11 years and I am pretty good at diagnosing and fixing about anything. I am getting older, and being 56 years old, I'm not sure I have the energy, or resources to keep one on the road. It seems all anybody does is work on them, and buy parts. I have a 67 Oldsmobile 442 that I really need to finish, and not sure I want to take on another endless project....I found one locally that I could get for about $3000 that runs and drives.....Help!!!!

MarcusOReallyus

It's a 1984 Chevy one ton with a green paint job and a few military gizmos added. It's got no creature comforts and adding them is not cheap.

Why would you want one?

If you don't know the answer to that, instantly, you probably don't want one.

Oh, and welcome! :D

Skinny

It sounds like you don't need one. First, you are talking about an Olds and a CUCV...opposite ends of the spectrum. Second, you don't want to spin any wrenches. This means you will be in the $7 or 8 range for one that has been gone through properly. Nothing fancy is going on in a CUCV but its 30 something years old. Just like anything else, you have to start at one end and go to the other.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine seem to be pretty dependable and not too demanding. The ambulance is soon to go as it no longer fits my needs.

dmetalmiki

There ya' go!..take recovery 4x4s offer..Join the league of "happy" (crazy(retarded, Sorry retired!?)) ex military enthusiasts who travel all over simply enjoying their vehicles, the friendships, and all the interesting and varied events they participate in the 'green' (and or sand coloured) hobby.
And, Jeepers..fer' crying out loud (and louder!) quit with the "Negative waves(Moriarty!) You'm only a 'spring chicken' yet! 56...you are not yet even in the 'considering retiring' bracket yet. So quit yer' track running! and tennis playing..and get stuck into some old green vintage iron to re-kindle your fire. Pee,ess! Welcome to the site hobby, Friendships, AND events to come.

Last edited:

oldolds442

I have always liked military stuff, even though I didn't serve...I just think they are really cool, and I do like to tinker...It just seems like all everyone talks about is breaking down, and throwing crazy money at them...The Oldsmobile has been a 20 year project. It took a back seat when I got the Roush 360R....Ac, cruise control, 400hp. The CUCV is kinda like the 442.... Brute strength with no frills. ..I really want one... Crap

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's either work on it and buy parts like you mentioned.
OR
Have a nice big car/truck payment and have to take to dealer for someone to put the computer on it.
@ $90+ an hour.

My M1008 is extremely reliable.
Drive it everyday.
I don't buy cheap parts and replace or repair anything if there is even a hint of dought on a part.

CUCVs are not for everyone.

I love mine

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Like Kenny mine too is pretty reliable. It used to be my daily driver. But now spends it's time being a workhorse. It hauls and or tows whatever needs to be moved around here. It gave me trouble when I first got it. But that was from neglect from the previous owner. I've had it 13 years now. Out of all my MV's it's my favorite. A 1008 will be the complete opposite of a 442. Slow, noisy and ugly. But still fun. If you decide to get it you will be in good company around here. And from you last post I see the Green Iron bug has already bitten you. So let us know when you get it home.

oldolds442

Slow, noisy, and ugly... Replace slow with "fast", and you pretty much sum up the 1967 Oldsmobile 442.... Maybe I I'll call the local guy back tomorrow....

penokeevet

My M1008 is one of five military vehicles I still have. Sold my M35A3, M923, M715, M880 (miss them all) . Still have the M1008, M1009, M38A1, 1995 Chev S10 Air Force (Follow Me Vehicle). Have my M725 for sale. Got rid of the Big Boys because I had difficulty raising the hood, etc. I'm 81 and recently had a minor stroke, carotid artery surgery and angioplasty w/stent. I never think of having to work on my smaller vehicles, my enjoyment is just having them and being part of the HMV crowd. I drove military vehicles in Korea and Japan in the 50,s and later in Colorado and Virginia/DC. They are part of my life/enjoyment. You get a little verbose at 81, just wanted to make the point that don't let age deter you and if you don't enjoy just having one, take a pass.

glaser06

I picked up an M1028A1 6 years ago now. Changed fluids, belts, and filters when I brought it home. I have had one pulley and a few glow plugs go on me in 24,000 miles. Just this month I started having injection pump problems. A rebuilt one cost me $300. I'm still at less than $1000 in maintenance since 2011 and this thing has pulled daily driver duty many many more times than I planned.

They're just plain dependable if you take care of them. Ugly, loud, and slow... Just like me.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me add this. This is a forum for ownership of MVs. Naturally, when things are going great, you won't hear much from folks. There are a ton of MVs working daily out there. IT's just that here is where MANY folks go when they do have problems. Look at it as kind of like a doctors office. Most of the folks there are sick but they aren't always sick (except a few).

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have several MVs along with a M1008. The M1008 is by far the easiest to fix. Although the big trucks are dead bang simple, everything is giant sized whereas the M1008 is equally simple but normal sized parts makes repairs much easier.

Haoleb

Like the OP i have never served but I do have a lot of military surplus gear because I like the utility of it... The price.. The american made quality and its all about business and no frills. So when I wanted to get a truck again It seemed like the obvious choice. I wanted something that was diesel, no frills, easy to work on (no plastic.. electronics.. etc.) and durable. So I got myself a nice M1028A2

I put some work into it but for a 30 year old truck that is to be expected. As far as ownership goes you do get a lot of attention... I don't like attention but I'll deal with it to drive a truck I like. In Macon you probably wont be getting as much being right next to the AFB.

Like others have mentioned. It is loud. Is is slow. It is relatively uncomfortable. It guzzles diesel fuel (mine does anyway, not all do) There are no comforts except a heater... Long story short while it is a fun rig to drive and own its not exactly practical. I want something that I can take on long trips at speeds over 50MPH and perhaps even be able to have a conversation with the passenger in the process. So less than a year later after getting the truck yes I am keeping my eye open for something different. If I had the luxury of having multiple vehicles it would be a different story but I can't have $10k sitting in my yard as a fun weekend truck.

Last edited:

rustystud

In my opinion if your even asking "why" then don't get one. Like my best friend said once ( who collects Corvairs and Studebakers) "if you have to ask why then you won't understand" .

oldolds442

Pretty much talked myself out of it... Want one, but don't think I want to complicate my life with another needy project vehicle... Thanks for all the advice, everyone

Skinny

I still think that you never really defined what you wanted. You stated you never drive the truck you currently own. You haven't finished another project. You stated that you do not want a project that is going to be needy. I would bet that 99% of people have some objective in mind when looking to buy an MV or a CUCV specifically. If it meets the criteria, then you acquire one that is already tuned up ready to rock or get something that needs work. Whether that is full metal work or just servicing. Obviously pricing and model reflect that. Seems like the duallies get the most money and ambulances get the least in the lineup. Saying that a CUCV is needy is no more different then saying an Olds 442 is not needy. They are all needy if not given the attention. If its older than 10 years, any vehicle that has not been maintained becomes needy. I guess the take home to anyone reading this maybe after searching the forums to purchase a CUCV is that they are not specifically needy rigs. They in fact are quite awesome if you are into bulletproof, slow, stinky, economical rigs that are easy to fix. They only have those attributes after being properly repaired and serviced. After all, they got auctioned at some point because the govt didn't want to invest the resources to keep em' going.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks