• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the road to Iowa

Desert Rat

Mourning all!!!!

Well, I left home in a hurry yesterday. Reminder to self: DON'T GET IN A HURRY!!!!! That bit me in the butt big time on time. I forgot my chains, straps and one box of tools (I have four boxes though). Driving the back roads at 45 mph really bites. Talk about making a five hour trip closer to eight and then some!!! Just after I crossed I-30 on I-45/US 75 I got a nail in the left rear outer tire. So I'm slowing down to 30 mph from a blistering 45 loking for a clear shoulder with some grass to pull off on and change the tire. 17 miles later (cities really suck for finding a clear and safe area to change a tire on the side of the road) I pull off, prep everything get ready to remove the tire and find out I have a 1&7/16 impact socket, NOT the 1&1/2 needed. Note to self: ALWAYS double check parts and numbers when buying ANYTHING!!!!!! It made the drive to pick up a coin machine MUCH longer (in Dallas) and finding a store that has the right tool elongated as well. Well the good news is there is a tire shop just across the street from the hotel and they just opened up! Time to get going. I'm taking picks and wil take more in Iowa. I hope to be there tomorrow morning. 'Till then y'all have fun!!!

-The RAT!!!!!

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well DR 45MPH is a lot better than 20MPH on the last trip!!! High range is much better isn't it. Besides just think of all the fuel money your saving!!!! Sorry, I had too!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm thinking Brent fears highway speed in reference to his transfer case oil slinging theory. In a hurry? In a deuce? I think not!

shadow

Desert Rat is heading up here to Fairfax, Iowa (next to Cedar Rapids, Iowa) to trade with me a genset for the flatbed semi trailer I had for sale. :driver:

I have hired him to pick up an old metal typer, or Personalized Souvenir Coin Stamper as it is called for me down in the Dallas area.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1,1&item=6279517985&sspagename=STRK:MEWN:IT

The seller was unsure of the weight for shipping and wanted quite alot to wrap it and deliver it to ups. ($40 to wrap cardboard and bubble wrap and $75 to drive 3 miles to ups) I am tight on cash and ask Mr. Rat :) if he could do it. I would rather pay him then ups.

I feel bad he got a flat in route to dallas. :( He probably would not have gotten a flat if he drove the route up here he was planning before I asked him to side track to Dallas.

I am going to call him to see how far up he has gotten. There was some bad t-storms late last night/early morning and it is supposed to have them all day today.

I have my camera and will take pics as well when he gets here. Looking forward to meeting him and posting pics!

shadow

:!:
I can't get through to Desert Rat...We had a Tornado Warnings with 2 doppler indicated tornados that moved through the area with hail. We had 1/4-1/2 inch, below us they had golf ball size. I tried calling him again during this but only got the message "your call can not be compleated as dialed. Please check the number and try again." I was worried if he was in the area, there was no real warning the weather was going to turn bad so quick and he would be caught in it.

I did get through to his voice mail and left a message but have not heard anything from him yet.....

I hope everything is ok with him. No more problems with tires, or any injuries while fixing them. :shock:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is he bringing his shop van and the converter dolly in an effort to pick up the semi trailer? Man, I hope he's not trying that!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I hope he's taken good measurements if so. I can barely turn my tractor with a civy trailer behind. I think his M197 coverter dolly will bring a civy trailer even closer to the back of his truck eliminating any sharp turns at all. The kingpin on a civy trailer is much farther back than any military applications.

shadow

He IS bringing his shop van and the converter dolly. :shock: I took some measurements for him of the trailer before.
I got:
4ft 10in to the side measured from the pin and, 3ft 2in from the pin to the front. the pin is 3in in dia. It was made in 1959.
I know nothing about trailers and hope he doesn't have any problems towing it.
As of 7:30pm he was about 30 miles from the Iowa border. He will try to get within an hour drive of me before stopping for the night. Tomarrow we get to replace lights (24v for 12v) check the tires (one has a gash on it) and chain down a tar bin.

He said maybe the tire will hold long enough to do this run before changing it.

I think we will have to find a way to move the 200 gal tar bin back a little to add some clearance.:oops:

Elwenil

Probably the most important measurement would have been from the pin to a front corner since that is what is going to hit if it's close enough. I'd test that setup quite a bit before trying to roll down the highway any. Sounds like something to get the DOT riled up for some reason...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lanty, you are so right on the money with that. He might have a better chance of getting away with it if it all looked more military and uniform but it doesn't and that's presuming that he has no clearance problems. Hey Shadow, have you ever moved the trailer with your 275? Any clearance issues with it if you have?

NEIOWA

A mil converter dolly any particular dimensional difference than a civilian dolly? Dimensions look to be similar (77" wb). Or is the kingpin on a civilian pup trailer closer to front of the trailer than on a regular semi trailer?

You supposed he's keeping at the TM max speed of 30mph?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks