• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the road to Iowa

NEIOWA

NEIOWA said:
A mil converter dolly any particular dimensional difference than a civilian dolly? Dimensions look to be similar (77" wb on the M197). Or maybe better question, is the kingpin on a civilian pup trailer closer to front of the trailer than on a regular civ semi trailer?

You suppose he's keeping at the TM max speed of 30mph?

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny, Yea he's trying it all right. But it gets even better. He's going to bring a bulldozer back from howards too. Any body know how much weight a deuce pindle can take????? Or a clutch climbing hills?

rizzo

emmado22 said:
Im sure he has all the proper permits to do this stuff with the DOT..........................
if it is his stuff he doesn't need any permits unless it is oversize or weight. A personal vehicle still has to adhere to axle and GVWR rating. the tow rating on a deuce isnt alot.

shadow

Hi all, I thought I would do a quick update before hitting the hay.
DR arrived about 9am and we got to work around 10 or so on the flatbed. We had to change out all the lights and wires with new ones and inflate 1 tire that went flat that I did not know about and do a little thumping on 1 set of wheels that wanted to stick and not roll.
DR brought a box of new lights and we descovered that they gave him the wrong number of amber and red. (more red then amber) The local autzone, oreilly's, etc do not carry the lenses, only compleate units. He has 2 that have no cover right now and will pick some up at a truck stop on his way to Ill.. We had to also go get some air lines/glad hands to hook it up to his truck. That worked out after switching them twice to get them to work. :) He used 3 straps to hold the tar bin right where it was on the front. It over hangs about 4-5 inches in front but looks like it would not hit his ladder or box. My sister and I took pics and I will post some tomarrow. We got done at about 7:30pm. About 9 and a half hours in the heat and sun. :)

Recovry4x4: Lanty, you are so right on the money with that. He might have a better chance of getting away with it if it all looked more military and uniform but it doesn't and that's presuming that he has no clearance problems. Hey Shadow, have you ever moved the trailer with your 275? Any clearance issues with it if you have?

I have never moved it because my rear unit is stuck and will not let the air down the lines to operate the brakes.

DR is 99% sure the trailer is Navy issue. The original paint is blue, the marker light wires are in a shielded harness and the drop down on the back he said was to support small tanks.

NEIOWA: A mil converter dolly any particular dimensional difference than a civilian dolly? Dimensions look to be similar (77" wb). Or is the kingpin on a civilian pup trailer closer to front of the trailer than on a regular semi trailer?
You supposed he's keeping at the TM max speed of 30mph?

I was reading the tag on the dolly and remember it to say 112" in length and 12,000lbs load. He has been doing 45mph most of the way up here.

ken: Kenny, Yea he's trying it all right. But it gets even better. He's going to bring a bulldozer back from howards too. Any body know how much weight a deuce pindle can take????? Or a clutch climbing hills?

Yah, he said he will use some tank ramps to load the dozer insted of 10 foot lenght I-beams like the 1st plan was. I think he said the dozer weights 7,000 pounds.

I think he said he is about at 63 feet in lengh right now. Looks good. Camo truck with a gray flat bed with a ratty blue tarp flapping over a junky looking tar bid all heading down the road. :)

O yah, there is this small issue....

[State officials are targeting truck drivers. It's part of a three day traffic enforcement effort called Road Check. Iowa Department of Transportation officials are conducting roadside checks at locations throughout the state identified as high-crash corridors.

Iowa DOT Sergeant Kevin Steele said "We're looking for equipment violations and driver's violations, driving violations, proper driver's license, hours of service, equipment violations, tires breaks, anything unsafe."

The Road Check is part of a national effort, the 19th annual International Truck and Motor Coach Safety and Security event. Road Check continues until Thursday.]

........... aua Maybe this week was not a ideal time to do this.....:mrgreen:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's one, how does one back up a converter dolly with a shop van? Hell, its hard enough to back up and M105 with a cargo truck. Looking forward to pics of this one.

Elwenil

One does not easily back up a dolly with anything, lol. I remember at my Truck Driving School they told us if we could back a tractor and two pups with the dolly the length of the rig we would get our tuition refunded. No one could do it and we spent a lot of time trying. I even put the heavy pup in the rear and blocked the brakes and backed downhill thinking it's weight and lack of brakes would pull the dolly straight. No luck, instant buckle. It should be noted that buckling the dolly can tear a pintle up in a hurry and you probably won't feel much in the cab. Probably wouldn't feel anything in a M109.

Iowa DOT Sergeant Kevin Steele said:
We're looking for equipment violations and driver's violations, driving violations, proper driver's license, hours of service, equipment violations, tires breaks, anything unsafe.
I think this applies to the "anything unsafe" bit, lmfao...

NEIOWA

shadow said:
Iowa DOT Sergeant Kevin Steele said "We're looking for equipment violations and driver's violations, driving violations, proper driver's license, hours of service, equipment violations, tires breaks, anything unsafe."
Hey I know Steele. He was scout plt leader when I was a TOW Co Cdr in 1-133 Inf (AASLT). Before that was a plt leader for Division LRP. Pretty sqaured away troop. I'd bet on being a no BS hardass on the civ job. But the military angle might buy a bit of slack.

Hookin1

Hookin1 said:
Well this should be entertaning aua
As i stated previously rofl . Lets see if i got this straight.one duece(previously with transfer case problems)pulling a converter dolly,that is also pulling a flatbed trailer,with a tank covered with a (non army issue tarp),going to pick up a 7,000lb.dozer and climb the hill at howards that it did'nt make it up to well with just a single axel dump truck hooked to it :cookoo: aua 2cents

:nothingfunny:

:lost:

Elwenil

He'd better hope to hell he doesn't get on any off-camber turns or try to turn into a parking lot on a hill. That is way to close for comfort and I'm sure it violates some sort of law.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I used that same converter to bring my M127 trailor home from san antiono a few months ago. It is 10 times easier to back up than any M105. I think it's because it's wider. The trick is, DON'T use the mirrors. Turn around and look because by the time you see it move in the mirror it's too late to corect it. With a 109 that's impossable.
The worst thing i've ever backed up is that transportable shelter he has. The guy who invented that thing needs to be shot!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks