• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the road to Iowa

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Holy crap! That is one heckofa setup there. Only thing better would be if Kenny had the Van Truck piggy-backed on his tractor pulling it back to Florida with the dolly followed by the flat with the dozer on it! Can't wait to hear the final trip report. I hope it doesn't end with more parts grenading.

jrosbo

DR Update

Well DR left here at about 19:30 hours, said he was going to try and get about three more hours of windshield time in before calling it a day. He lost the blue tarp on his way here. He also said he could not believe how many troopers he passed and that passed him on the way here so no problem there. They just pass him by. He jumped a ditch here into my hay field so he would have enough room to turn around and he had plenty of clearance so no problems there either. And I also saw him back it up about 20 feet on a curve no problems. Everything seems to be going well for him, I took him back to town to get a quick bite and buy a couple of straps because one broke and he topped of the fluids and the air in the trailer tires, visited a little while and then headed out. If he makes it down to where he said he was going to tonight he should be at howards by noon. I think he said he is taking pictures as well.

Attachments

jrosbo

DR UPDATE

A couple of more pictures. I don't know why they downloaded so small, I down loaded all four at the same time. Sorry about the size, but if you can see them the black plum in the center is smoke rolling out of the truck about a 1/4 of a mile down the road.

Attachments

jrosbo

Tire

Nope. It is still on there he just doesn't put as much air in that tire as he does the rest. I will tell you guys one thing all the pictures on here don't do him any justice. That setup is looooooooong. He looked like a land train going across my hay field like the ones you see on tv down in Australia.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just spoke w/drat. He made it to howards. I'd like to watch them loading the bulldozer. That would be a site!

Desert Rat

Ok guys! I'm really enjoying reading all this. Kenny, no need to be speechless! Heck I dragged the travel trailer from your place and the clearance was MUCH tighter on that than this set-up by far.

Lance, Buddy had to give me a bit of a push up the hill at his place. I made it about 2/3rds of the way and then my drives just dug in. You should know after having been a Meisler driver this is nothing for me to do anyway :jumpin: !!!!

Here are some stats I have compiled:

Pre-Howards with trailer: 8.16 mpg and temp was 175-185 depending upon speed limits in small towns.

Post-Howards: 6.23 mpg in the KY hills. I refueled at a truck stop at the I-155/I-55 junction. I'll have more data when I refuel tomorrow in the flats on US-70 in Arkansas. Temps are running 190-205 in 97 degree heat with the heat index at 103. The cab is an easy 125 degrees.

I figure I'll be home Monday without a problem. The TD-6 is chained down solidly and I did fall through the boards once at Howard's. It's a wonder I didn't break anything. Heck I didn't even get a scratch! However, the broken wood was almost fun to pick up.

Wallew: I have your bumper, Lance, I have those Deuce front brackets that mount over the bumper for towing, Ken I got your stuff too.

I had a gasket leaking this morning when I did my morning VI. I got it fixed along with a fewe other small items but it delayed my departure to 1300 from Morton's Gap.

I'm at the Holiday Inn in Blytheville, Ark. on their 'puter.

I'm REALLY sunburned and very tired. My arms feel like rubber and every muscle hurts. Yet I'd do it all over again! This has been quite a bit of fun. I even met a 'MOG owner in Ark. on the way up! We were holding up traffic behind us, yelling over the engines and admiring each other's rides. That MOG was sweet!!

I'm sure more adventures will happen sooner or later too. :driver:

See y'all when I get home!!!!

THE RAT!!!!

shadow

Hay DR. Good to hear you post an update.

[The TD-6 is chained down solidly and I did fall through the boards once at Howard's. It's a wonder I didn't break anything. Heck I didn't even get a scratch! However, the broken wood was almost fun to pick up.]

WOW. :shock: I'm glad you are ok. Were you in the back area or the front when you fell?

[Temps are running 190-205 in 97 degree heat with the heat index at 103. The cab is an easy 125 degrees.]

I feel for you. That would be way to hot for me. :)

Have a safe trip back home and :grd:

Desert Rat

Thanks Mike! I'm getting breakfast and getting on the road before the storms to the north get and further south. It's sunny and I'd prefer to drive with the sun than the rain. See y'all when I get home!

BTW, I was in the middle where it's the worst and missed one of the support beams by about two inches. *Crunch* *whoops* *Ooof* *What the #@%&^%@!!!!!!* *Dang it I knew better!!!*

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks