• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the road to Iowa

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thirty miles outside of Pine Bluff, Arkansas.

He will stop in Shreveport, LA. this evening. Heat in the cab is about 125 degrees. Engine is running at 2100 rpm between 40 - 45 mph. He's getting about 6.8 mpg.

And did I mention that it's hot, hot, hot inside the cab??

Whew, I am glad I didn't make this trip cause I could NOT have with stood the heat.

He's doing fine. His load is fine. His truck seems to like running at about 2100 rpm, which is where he is running it. He says when the sun comes out bright, his operating temp jumps above 200. When he's driving through cloudy stuff, it runs around 190. So everything is in the green.

And he should be home sometime tomorrow.

jim

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'll bet he's wishing he didn't install that artic windshied frame now!
It sure is nice to open the windshied and let some fresh air in!!!!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great point Ken. I can't imagine all that driving without being able to tip out a window/

Desert Rat

Actually the arctic windshield worked just fine. All I did was open the rear split windows in the hard top and roll down the driver side window and I was just fine with all the cross drafts.

I just finished working on the TD6. I have a guy rebuilding the generator and starter for less than $100 for both! I have new plugs, wires and coil ready to go on it too. The engine turns over and needs filters, the fuel purged, and oil change and a few small fixes and then she'll be ready to fire up and drive off the trailer! I'm going to work on the ramps next and reinforce them with some angle iron and a few other goodies I got for free from DK's work place.

I found the tread separated from the tire on the dolly (left inside) and that's been it for any major tire problems.

I have over 60 pics from Lufkin when I stopped there from the return trip. I'll also have some pics of the complete set-up as well.

Right now I'm tired and a bit hungry. See y'all a.s.a.p.!!!!

The RAT :D [thumbzup] :beer: :driver:

Desert Rat

Thanks Bjorn!

I'm working on posting pics.. If there are specific pics. someone wants just PM me. I have over 170 pics, 117 are of Lufkin. I have genset pics, M880 pics, M35, 1008, 1009 and five ton pics along with a rare M36 one too.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's DR's rig in front of Howards garage with a trailer pulling 42,000 lbs, which includes the weight of the M109 with a full load of fuel and DR behind the wheel...

Last edited:

Desert Rat

In the middle (which is still there) includes two military ramps, a Deuce fuel tank with mounting brackets, a Deuce battery box with hangers and all, a front bumper with brackets for a winch (the brackets are for 'Storm) and a hard top in need of some TLC along with a bunch of rotted wood and a hole where I fell through :jumpin: !!!!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks