• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the (side of) the road again

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you happen to be rolling along at a nice steady 2200-2400 RPM's and all of a sudden your engine make an unexpected clatter and loses power - look at your oil pressure! If it is zero, kick that puppy out of gear and yank hard on the fuel cutoff, then look for a place to pull over and get out the cell phone. I did this morning and jwaller can attest, it will still run, kinda (or at least it still turns over and tries to start). Thanks John for the recovery!

I was on my way to Ft Bragg DRMO for a couple of items, which will now have to wait a bit longer. Mechanical failure in Lumberton at mile marker 19. 14 hours later, I'm home and going to bed. PS, crankcase was almost at the full mark with oil ( immediately prior to the problem it had 50 psi of oil pressure). Coolant was barely 180, all belts look fine.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good on John Waller for helping out! :beer:

So where did all the oil go?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Clint,
The oil is still all in the crankcase (or down in the pan by now). No extra holes in the block, more came out of the slobber tube (left a spot about the size of a dixie cup) than anywhere else. John thinks it was the oil pump self destructing. It's on the list of projects for this winter!

stumps

Clint,
The oil is still all in the crankcase (or down in the pan by now). No extra holes in the block, more came out of the slobber tube (left a spot about the size of a dixie cup) than anywhere else. John thinks it was the oil pump self destructing. It's on the list of projects for this winter!
I had the same thing happen to a Ford PU truck. The problem was the oil pump's intake screen got plugged. The 351V8 had a hotter than it ought to be head, and if you ever went too long between oil changes, it burned the thickened oil into a hard black foam like substance, which found its way to the bottom of the oil pan where it plugged the screen.

Cleaned the screen, pump, flushed all of the oil galleries, and replaced all of the rod bearings, and I was back in business.... until the next time.

-Chuck

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Do you still have something to drive to the rally?

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deuce #1 - bad oil pump; Deuce #2 - generator problems (should be resolved in 2 wks); M-36A2 - puking wheel seal on driver's side rear; M109 #1 - still full of stuff from Armed Forces Day, tag renewal; M109 #2 - still at Richard's with non functioning brakes and no batteries; Toyota - replaced water pump on the way to the VA Rally, still daily driver. With the other folks that want to go, there should be at least two trucks capable of pulling the MKT going, even if they are not mine.

That's a long way of saying yes, I plan on being there.

charlietango

Deuce #1 - bad oil pump; Deuce #2 - generator problems (should be resolved in 2 wks); M-36A2 - puking wheel seal on driver's side rear; M109 #1 - still full of stuff from Armed Forces Day, tag renewal; M109 #2 - still at Richard's with non functioning brakes and no batteries; Toyota - replaced water pump on the way to the VA Rally, still daily driver. With the other folks that want to go, there should be at least two trucks capable of pulling the MKT going, even if they are not mine.

That's a long way of saying yes, I plan on being there.
wow this is sounding familiar. I thought things happened in three's, not thirteen's.

sorry for your **** luck. I share your pain.

dobyg75

I used to work as a parts manager and we a had a dump truck do the same thing it turns put to have been two spun bearings it did a lot of damage to the crank some very deep marks in it we ended up doing a motor swap, i would gess thats what happened to you but no promises hope it turns out better for you

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Quick thinkin might have "saved the day"! Hope that it turns out well for you! Man, what a string of ill-fated events for you!! UGH!! (are you sure you aren't "wreckerman" in disquise, tryin to fool "murphy") Seriously, hope that it is something relatively simple, if there is such a thing on a deuce!
God bless,

Tony:-D

OKCMoparGuy

If the engine was up to temp when you cranked it and there wasn't a noticeable knocking sound I doubt it spun a bearing (rod or main). Even at 250rpm cranking speed you'd hear some noise. I'll keep my fingers crossed that it's an oil pump......heck maybe the oil pump pickup came loose and is allowing cavitation.