• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the way to Bobs

3dAngus

Today I managed to work out some vendor problems with getting some 395 wheel adapters. Looks like CCEquipment is coming to my rescue, where I wasted about 6 weeks of time in trying to work something out with another vendor, who seems to take joy in jerking people around.

CCEquipment is not only going to make the adapters this weekend, they are going to ship Monday and provide the specialized nuts and bolts as well, which need be ordered and shipped seperately. They seem very professional. Looks like I'll be going with the 24 bolt aluminum on this one, in lieu of my 12 bold steel wheels.

This weekend I'm tagging up with Michael and Robert to pick up some of my junk and deliver oak for the bed (1X3s from Lowes) and some mud flaps, and I'll send more pictures then. The bed might go on this weekend. Still excited. I want to get it stuck at the Ga. Rally.
If I have trouble doing it, I'm sure Gimpy can give a hand. :p

3dAngus

Today I received my wheel adapters from CCEquipment. Whoa! Did they ever come through. I ordered uncut adapters on Thursday, they cut, packaged and shipped and I had them at my front door on Tuesday. Now that's professionalism. Nuts and bolts were special order and they should arrive Friday or Monday. Looks like I'm back on schedule. Interesting, CCE asked if I wanted them to paint them. I replied no, I'll go ahead and do that. I cleaned with brake cleaner after wiping down residue first. Then I primed, and painted. I'm off to Cochran where I delivered my new wheels and will bolt them on this weekend if all goes well.
Pictures of adapters by CCEquipment attached. I highly recommend them. These guys knew what they were talking about. You should check with them on price. It was reasonable.

Attachments

3dAngus

The bobber project is taking longer then expected. I'm positive it will not be done in time for the Ga Rally now which is a big dissappointment, but I'm happy with the guys and the work.
They got the springs, axle and the M105 bed on the back now. The 2" receiver plate is bolted on. I went to tractor supply and paid $35 for their 2" receiver when the same basic receiver mechanism by weight was at Harbor Freight for $14, but I didn't want to drive all the way to Macon. I dropped off inner and outer hub seals and the MRAP adapter plates made by CCEquipment along with all the nuts and bolts to bolt it together and get them mounted. It's getting close. Here's a couple pictures for an update. Can't wait to get my wheels on there. It's the 395's that are going to make it. I'll have my local welder put a light bar on the back later to dress it up, probably after I get it painted.

Attachments

DHennon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Going to be a beauty when she's done! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Sorry it will not be done for the GA Rally.

3dAngus

The body is in good shape with minimal rust. It won't take much wire brushing at all. Mostly just sanding and painting. It will be tough to get it done before the Rally, but I'm going to try.

My M-37 project is going to have to fall by the wayside. This truck should be beautiful when done. I still have my battery equalizer to install, paint, roll bar/light bar, 12vdc lighting if I go that way, completion of the 2" ball hitch with a leveler to drop down, and interior instrumentation and wiring I want to clean up. The deuce does have a heater, and all fluids need to be looked at and changed out with filters. I haven't had my hands on this truck more than an hour yet so I have a lot to do. I'll pick it up tomorrow and give a bobbing report upon it's arrival home, for the first time since I purchased it.

3dAngus

I picked up my deuce today after the bob job was done and tool it to the car wash. I think it was the first washing in years, and was worried it might not start when I put about ten dollars worth of engine degreasing soap on the hot engine. Once I got all the black tree drippings or fungus like substance off it, the metal looked much better then I thought, and I thought it looked good before. This is going to be a much easier paint job then I expected as most of the work usually goes in to the preparation and there are no rust thoughs, no rust except on hinges, no dents, dings, or anything that will be real time consuming. The tires look great and I'm real happy with the job Robert and Michael did for me. Well worth the effort and money spent.
It will be tough with several trips coming but I might just try and get this thing done before the rally. Just need some dataplates and I'll start sanding tomorrow. Home at last, for the first time since I made a down payment three months ago when we tried to get a Ga. Title, with no luck.

I was surprised at how well she runs. My chase driver told me I hit 70mph and averaged 64 but the speedometer read about 55. Bigger 395 tires help. Only issue is the steering where at 35-45 there is to much play. I found if I keep the rpms up it helps. At higher speeds its not a problem. It feels like I have power steering in this thing with these tires, and the PS has a air bubble in it at 35-45 and lower rpms (higher gear). I'll see if I can figure out how to take out some of the play in the steering wheel, but this deuce runs better than my other two previous. Brakes are great as well. I'm HAPPY!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dell, The wheels look awesome..! Cant wait for the pictures of the paint job. That was the fastest Bob job I have ever seen. Cheers and enjoy your new truck..!:D

3dAngus

Dell, The wheels look awesome..! Cant wait for the pictures of the paint job. That was the fastest Bob job I have ever seen. Cheers and enjoy your new truck..!:D

Yeah, you gotta appreciate two hard working folks like Michael (USMCTOPGUN) and Robert. They did it out on Roberts farm. Both have full time jobs. Wish everyone would come through like they.

I felt like such a dope coming back from the car wash. I took the long way around. It's been months since I drove the A2. I just love going through the gears, and listening to that loud deafing roar, and the whistle of the turbo. There were just to many times when I, all by myself with no chase car and no witnesses, went,
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA.........

and then when I stopped, I went

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA........
and then again, and believe it or not, again.

The pure joy of driving your own deuce down the road, going through the gears is like a kid with a new toy, his favorite toy, and you just don't want Daddy to come by and take it away for supper or anything else. It's all yours, as is the road. It's been missed. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!

I'mmmmm back!!!! HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA..........

flattop68

Looks good, really like those wheels. We need to get together and have a paint party. Mine is completed and ready for a fresh coat of green also. Hats off to the guys that helped you out. It is a bigger job than it looks... I did mine by myself, in my driveway, on evenings and weekends.
Like you said, I love to drive it.

3dAngus

Today, I'm painting the base coat on much of the truck. I've been working on it about three full days now all total, and am about 70-80% complete. Tomorrow, I'll climb on top of the hood and grind and wire brush the hinges and windshield edges and prime and paint to finish the base coat. I hope to cover it all once again with a more professional sprayer when I get back from the Ga. Rally. For now, I'm mostly interested in getting the rust off and coating. I painted the interior and will decide tomorrow if I want to top it off again. All the base coat requires primer when necessary and two coats minimum of rattle can. I have 4 full gallons of the same Rapco forest green camo paint to mix at a 4:1 ratio with Xylene to finish it all off for a smoothe even finish.

I should be able to put my new dataplates on the interior tomorrow as well.

Late in the week I will be changing oil and fuel filters and checking all fluids for the drive up to the rally. Next week is all about getting hooked up and loaded for the multiple trips I plan on making while bringing in some of my tires and stuff for sale. Gotta make some fuel/paint money.

Attachments

3dAngus

Ugggghh... those pictures suck. I'm going to find my camera tomorrow and try again. This was my wifes camera. Not sure how her settings are set up.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks