• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On the way to get a WC-63

scottgs

On the way to recover a WC-63. Kind of rough looking, but I think mostly complete and restorable. Certianly I've seen the members here do wonderful things with much less.

So, anyway, is there an SOP or TM or even just a TB on how to explain it to the wife when I get back?

Just trying to be prepared. ;)

Garret

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Ummm...prepared would be having some nice pics of what you are on the way to recover to show to all your SS friends!

I've found the best way to keep the wife happy is not to let her find out about a new MV until it is at least semi-presentable...in other words...hide the rascal. Also...never tell the truth about how much you paid for it..unless you just bought her something she REALLY wants.

Last edited:

zout

Even asking that question to yourself brings up the thought she is probably already going to ask you ?

"What you going to do with that my dear" (that was not a sexual quote - only being partially physic I can hear it already).

If she knows your skill levels to obtain results - she will just shrugg her shoulders and go oh well here we go again (I know that one personally).
If its your own personaly experiment with her to test her patience - ahhhhhh - good choice.

Now where are all the pictures of the WC before your blood is spattered on it from her bashing the living daylights outta ya when
you bring it home. HURRY is the key word here on posting them.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
And 22 hours later...still no pics or update...where did ya go to recover said treasure?? HUH?? HUH??

Get a fellers hopes up then just disappear eh??

scottgs

Hold your horses... We're not quite there yet. Photos will follow, I promise. Even if it's so far gone we have to blow it up or somethin...

Last edited:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Hmmm...700 miles..."down here"...must be WAY down in Florida??

Well, if you linked up at 08:00hrs as planned you've had 40 minutes....where's the pics?? (Not trying to rush you or anything)

FrankUSMC

Garret After you get it home, send me a want list. I had two of them, and I still have some parts here for the WC63. One of the few, Frank USMC RET

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I notice that the only two folks moving are Tony and Ron. They are blurs in the photos. Zout is so fast, he doesn't even show up in the pictures.

scottgs

Here you go!

WC-63_First_Look.jpgWC-63_Loadedandreadytogo.jpgWC-63_MadeitHome.jpg

Still recovering from the trip, haven't even made a decent assessment yet. But I do know that it is an ex French Army vehicle, obviously after it was an ex-US vehicle. It has some French modifications, and has been converted to 12V for radio. The bed is pretty beat inside and out, but very solid, except for where it's rusted away... Drivetrain seems intact, everything shifts easily, looks like it has run not too long ago. The owner I got it from knew little about this specific truck, however I have identified the previous previous owner, and they said it runs good. But, lots of rust to clean and body to replace and parts to replace.... What a project this one's going to be, but all kinds of fun, just the same!

So anyway, I have some question to start off with...

- How do I get the combat rim apart and the tube out, in order to patch it? I have taken all the nuts off, but it won't easily seperate. Any secrets?

- Why would the mechanical fuel pump be gone, and a blank plate over it's hole in the block? Why would there be an electric pump?

Frank - I will get a list together soon of my needs. It's going to be a longggggg list! Thank you and everyone else for the support.

Garret

Stan Leschert

I'm waiting for Wreckerman to post up, saying that he "Can't Get Nothing"

What an incredible find. Very few were made, and even less have survived the scrappers.
The support troop that you have behind you are worth almost as much as the truck.

Try to make PB and the Camo crew work for their beer. If nothing else, you'll keep them busy.

Seriously,where else would you find that amount of skill and knowledge,

who would work for friendship, beer and BBQ?

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck. The Combat rims are usually rusted between the main rim and the detachable rim. Make sure all rim bolts are removed and try inserting a shaft of some type from the main rim side and try to knock it off. I had some rims that never did separate. As for the pump. The user probably just decided it was cheaper to get a electric fuel pump. Good luck.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Here you go!
View attachment 401405View attachment 401406View attachment 401407
Still recovering from the trip, haven't even made a decent assessment yet. But I do know that it is an ex French Army vehicle, obviously after it was an ex-US vehicle. It has some French modifications, and has been converted to 12V for radio. The bed is pretty beat inside and out, but very solid, except for where it's rusted away... Drivetrain seems intact, everything shifts easily, looks like it has run not too long ago. The owner I got it from knew little about this specific truck, however I have identified the previous previous owner, and they said it runs good. But, lots of rust to clean and body to replace and parts to replace.... What a project this one's going to be, but all kinds of fun, just the same!
So anyway, I have some question to start off with...
- How do I get the combat rim apart and the tube out, in order to patch it? I have taken all the nuts off, but it won't easily seperate. Any secrets?
- Why would the mechanical fuel pump be gone, and a blank plate over it's hole in the block? Why would there be an electric pump?
Frank - I will get a list together soon of my needs. It's going to be a longggggg list! Thank you and everyone else for the support.Garret
Very nice and worth waiting for the pics!!

FrankUSMC

On the fuel pump, that has "gone missin". That is easy why it is gone, the past owners got tired of rebuilding it or could not find a rebuild kit for it. With todays fuels, the fuel would eat up the diaphragm in the fuel pump. It gets to be a pain pulling the fuel pump, them a couple of weeks later pulling it again because you got a tank full of fuel with alcohol in it. Also, while you were rebuilding the fuel pump, you also had to change the oil because when the fuel pump started leaking through the diaphragm it went right into the oil pan. That is how you know you have a hole in the diaphragm on the fuel pump, is the oil level would start going "up" the dip stick, plus it would have a small of gas to it. The inside of your engine did get a good cleaning! Now, you need to get to your phone and put Midwest military on speed dial, John will become your best friend. Good luck on the truck, you will have fun with it. One of the few, Frank USMC RET

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks