• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On Truck Filtering

EmersonHart13

I might not be using the right search terms, so if this has been discussed my apologies.

I know most people pick up their waste oils with their truck, take them home to filter, and then put them back in the same truck for use. Does anyone do their filtering on the truck? Aka, the fuel preparation is all done onboard?

Thanks,

John

eagle4g63

The main reason that it is not done "on truck" is a very simple one...........you get slug in the main tank....very bad on the pump and very hard to get out.

I usually pick mine up in 55 gallon barrels, easy to handle and then pump out into my larger holding/mixing tanks........it make for a lot less mess. Plus when the barrel starts to get built up with gunk, I get rid of it and use a different one.

If you know the source you are getting the oil from............NO water, and pretty clean.........than it would be a simple task, just be prepared for a quick filter change on the side of the road when it decides NOW is a good time to plug up.

EmersonHart13

I was thinking you wouldn't put it straight into the main tank, maybe 2-3 tanks so you can still filter it and have filters between that you can change. Then end up with the finished product in your main tank.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water separation take expensive and disposable filters, time and or heat.

Process it at home.

Also, most places will want you in and out asap.

eagle4g63

I see what you are getting at.........install an extra gas tank.........instead of pumping the oil in a barrel, put it in that tank............as you go down the road you are pumping the oil through a filter set up and into the main...........from there you have clean fuel going to the motor.

Interesting, but again, unless you KNOW the source you can get in a world of hurt. The best way I have seen to get water out is to let is rest.......in a container in the sun..........or you have a butt load of $$$$ to do it mechanical..........IF you have said butt load of $$$$$ you wouldn't be trying to run your truck on free oil!!!

chevyCUCV

One problem, most member settle there fuel for weeks before pumping from the top for filtering.
Also having a drain on the bottom, to eliminate water sludge and whatever else settles out.

EmersonHart13

I have read how it is done and understand the complications and that it is not the recommended way to go.

I am not saying to filter on site.

I see what you are getting at.........install an extra gas tank.........instead of pumping the oil in a barrel, put it in that tank............as you go down the road you are pumping the oil through a filter set up and into the main...........from there you have clean fuel going to the motor.

Interesting, but again, unless you KNOW the source you can get in a world of hurt. The best way I have seen to get water out is to let is rest.......in a container in the sun..........or you have a butt load of $$$$ to do it mechanical..........IF you have said butt load of $$$$$ you wouldn't be trying to run your truck on free oil!!!
Yeah you are getting the idea a bit more. You don't even have to do it while driving, just fill an extra tank and leave. When you get home filter to second tank (and third if necessary) then pump into main.

Yeah I get the water problem and agree with everyone's concerns. I am also not proposing to do it. But if you are an expeditionary vehicle it would be nice to be able to do it on the truck.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A stationary storage tank is instrumental in letting the water separate.

Unless you figure out how to makea continuous centrifuge without handling the processed oil, I don't see a good way to do this "on the road".

Tplane37

About 15 years ago, there was a guy in central Illinois that lived out of his diesel van. He was running WVO in his van. He had a small tanker trailer, maybe 150-200 gallons, that he drug around with his van to all the restaurants and collected their discarded oil. Everything was processed on the trailer with a final filtration occurring in the back of the van through a floor to chitterling filtration rack with heaters before going into his main fuel tank. He had what appeared to be heavy duty hydraulic hoses with quick disconnects that went from the trailer to the final filter rack in the back of his van that he only hooked up when the truck was stopped at a pickup point.

Unfortunately, he was in his late 60s early 70s then, and he passed away a couple years ago. He was an 'icon' in Decatur, Illinois because he was doing this on principle alone. Apparently he was a millionaire and diesel prices were still low at that point in time. He did it to prove a point.

So, it can be done if you put your mind to it, but remember to ensure you can sample the processed fuel before it enters your truck's stock fuel system so you can at least keep an eye on things, and I would recommend a portable 'dike' to put around your setup to ensure that if their is a spill while you are processing 'on site' that it is contained.

Tplane37

I have been processing my waste oils on the back of my Chevy g-20 van for 6 years. Here are photos of the rig fueling.
Welcome to the SS community!

I invited Beyond Biodiesel here after running into him on a couple different alternative fuel forums. While he is not running a FMV, he is running the weaker, civilian version of the 6.2L in his van and has contributed a wealth of knowledge to the other Alternative Fuel forums. One of which is http://beyondbiodiesel.org . There is a good deal of knowledge there that can be useful to us here on SS, additionally, there is knowledge here that I have not yet seen on the other forums... Sounds like a good team to me!:D

Beyond Biodiesel

Thanks for the welcome. I look forward to learning here.

Yes, MWMULES, the heat of the desert definitely helps in processing waste oils into diesel fuel; however, I live in Northern AZ at about 5,000 of elevation, so the winters can be cold here. I can still make my fuel making and burning work here.