• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Onan DJC parts that fit military generators

Kkkpack

Hello
I’ve been lurking and reading here. I recently bought a Onan DJC 12.0 spec D diesel generator that hasn’t run in years and the guy couldn’t tell me to much about it.
I know the M-50 injection pump ( not the Psu pump) fits some military generators and maybe other parts but I don’t know which ones. From reading on this forum and smokstak I pulled the injection pump and checked the inside to make sure it wasn’t frozen, everything looked good so I put a seal kit in it and reinstalled it.
The injection pump good is working good, I pumped the fuel by hand and had return fuel so cracked the injectors and got fuel at the injectors, finally got all the air out the lines but still couldn’t get to run.

I finally figured out the four glow plugs to the cylinders were bad but the two big ones in the intake were good so 4 new glow plugs and it started but dies when you release the start switch. Now I’m pretty weak on testing control parts, I’ve got good oil pressure so I took the oil pressure sensor wire off and taped it up but still the same. I’ve been looking at the service manual for testing controls and I think I know what it is but with no donor parts to check I’m down to ordering parts and spending money,
I’m retired so I’m on a pretty tight budget and any hobby I play with kind of has to break even if it’s possible. Y’all know when you start throwing parts at a generator it can be expensive because once you get one thing fixed and go to the next step it can be more parts.

I’ve got a question because I think some of the guys here buy and sell parts, I’m not sure how much I can sell parts for if it comes down to parting it out to get my money back. Right now I could sell the whole generator and break even but if I keep going I won’t be able to if it gets to much money.

Would anyone be able to tell what some of the parts would bring if I had to part it out here or on eBay?
You can tell me in a Pm, on this thread or not at all and it will be fine with me. I want to get it running but need to know when to throw my hands up.
I tinker with generators but this is my first diesel so I don’t know where I’m at money wise on it.

Thank you Kelley

Attachments

Last edited:

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your problem is likely the oil pressure sensor if your Onan works like the Onan military gensets. You have to hold the start switch in the start position for a period of time after the oil pressure comes up prior to releasing the switch. For my MEP003A genset, it requires holding the switch in the start position about 10 seconds after the oil pressure is up. If your genset dies after releasing the switch, but the oil pressure has been up for 10 - 15 seconds, it is likely that the oil pressure sender is bad. I noticed that you disconnected the wire from the oil pressure sender. Instead, you should run a ground wire to the sensor with the wire hooked up. If the genset now runs correctly, you know you have a bad oil pressure sender.

Guyfang

Staff member
Just a reminder, you talked about selling parts in your first post. To do that, you need to upgrade your membership. And you do it in a "Parts for sale" thread. Not an open thread.